Monday, May 23, 2016

2016 TV Fall Season Sneak Peek

This new TV fall season is a first for me - there are more new shows I'm interested in than shows I'm not interested in. If I end up liking all of the new shows I've decided to check out, my DVR is going to be full all of the time. However, the chances of that happening are pretty slim - based on the past.

So, below is a list of the new shows whose pilots I'm interested in watching. It will be interesting to see how accurate my predictions of which shows I'll keep watching will be. I'll keep you posted - in about six or seven months. *wink*

New Shows
CW
No Tomorrow
What it's about: Sarah, a risk-averse quality-control assessor who falls for Xavier, a free-spirited thrill seeker who believes the apocalypse is coming and helps her learn the true meaning of "seizing the day."
My thoughts: I’m all for watching TV shows about seizing the day. Since I don’t do it enough in my own life, the next best thing is watching others seizing it in a TV series. I’m curious if the show will last long enough to make it to the day of the apocalypse because I’d like to see what the end of the world looks like, or what Xavier looks like when he realizes the world didn’t end. 
Chance I think I'll keep watching: Moderate

Frequency
What it's about: Set in 2016, Detective Raimy Sullivan discovers that she is able to communicate via a CV radio with her long dead father, who is speaking to her from 1996. Raimy takes advantage of the opportunity and warns him of his impending death, but when she is able to save his life, she also changes her own history. Based on the 2000 film of the same name, starring Jim Caviezel and Dennis Quaid. 
My thoughts: Frequency is one of my all-time favorite movies. The preview for this series looks really good, and seems to follow the movie very closely, other than changing the main character to a woman. I don’t know what they will do to stretch the premise out for an entire season, let alone additional seasons if it gets renewed, but I’m interested in finding out. I hope it will deviate enough from the movie to add some surprises.
Chance I think I'll keep watching: High

CBS
Bull
What it's about: Inspired by the life of Dr. Phil before he became a favorite of Oprah, the series follows Dr. Bull, head of a trial consulting service that analyzes juries to help develop defense strategies. 
My thoughts: I’m glad this series is about Phil McGraw’s career prior to his TV career, because the whole idea of analyzing juries sounds very interesting – more interesting than a series about a psychologist who has his own daytime series.
Chance I think I'll keep watching: Moderate

Macgyver
What it's about: A reboot of the popular 1980's television series, if you don't know what this one is about, then you probably won't be interested in it. Just think of bubble-gum and paperclips.
My thoughts: Macgyver was one of my Dad’s favorite TV shows. I never watched it, but I knew what it was about - bubble-gum and paperclips. I’m going to check this one out for my Dad. And if I feel like he would have been disappointed in it, I will be too. 
Chance I think I'll keep watching: Moderate

Fox
Pitch
What it's about: Pitch is about a young pitcher who becomes the first woman to play in the major league when she's chosen to play for the San Diego Padres.
My thoughts: It’s surprising to me that I’m interested in a show about baseball. But I am. It would be nice if this show became prophetic.
Chance I think I'll keep watching: Moderate

Son of Zorn
What it's about: Son of Zorn is a hybrid live-action/animated comedy about an animated warrior from a faraway island in the Pacific Ocean, where everything and everyone is animated. He returns to Orange County to win back his live-action ex-wife and teenage son.
My thoughts: I It looks like a cross between Enchanted and He-Man, and I have to admit that this shows looks hilarious. This coming from someone who has never seen He-Man, nor has ever had an interest in seeing He-Man.
Chance I think I'll keep watching: High

ABC
Conviction
What it's about: The brilliant, but rebel daughter of a former President (Hayley Atwell) is blackmailed into taking a job as the head of Los Angeles' newly created Conviction Integrity Unit. She, along with her team, works to examine cases where the wrong person may have been convicted of a crime.
My thoughts: I like Hayley Atwell. I’m sorry Agent Carter was canceled, but I’m glad she has another part. 
Chance I think I'll keep watching: Moderate

Speechless
What it's about: Minnie Driver stars in this comedy about family dealing with the challenges of having a special-needs child. 
My thoughts: Minnie Driver is really funny in the preview. I like her quirkiness. 
Chance I think I'll keep watching: Moderate

Notorious
What it's about: This series is based on the true-life stories of famed criminal defense attorney Mark Geragos and cable news producer Wendy Walker, and explores the interplay of criminal law and the media.
My thoughts: No real thoughts about this one. I’m just interested in checking it out.
Chance I think I'll keep watching: Moderate

NBC
Timeless
What it's about: A criminal steals a secret state-of-the-art time machine, intent on destroying America by changing its past. A soldier and a history professor use the machine's prototype to travel back in time to critical events, hoping to stop him. They must make an effort not to affect the past themselves as they try to stay one step ahead of the dangerous fugitive.
My thoughts: This is the first of three series about time travel. I don’t know why the sudden interest in time travel, but I’m interested in the series for the history aspect of it. I want to see what historical events they will be a part of, and if and how they will change anything.
Chance I think I'll keep watching: High

This is Us
What it's about: This dramedy centers around a group, several of whom share the same birthday, and follows them as their paths cross and their life stories intertwine in curious ways.
My thoughts: I’m curious to see how the lives of these very different people intertwine. I just hope it won’t get too “soap opera-ey.” We’ll see.
Chance I think I'll keep watching: Moderate

The Good Place
What it's about: The Good Place follows an ordinary woman (Kristen Bell) who enters the afterlife, where she comes to realize she hasn't been a very good person. With the help of her afterlife mentor (Ted Danson), she is determined to shed her old way of living and discover a better person within.
My thoughts: This show looks like it could be very funny. I like Kristen Bell.
Chance I think I'll keep watching: Moderate

Midseason Shows
Fox
Making History
What it's about: This series centers on three friends who find a way to travel through time in search of truth, justice, and riches, which complicates their lives in 2016. They visit some of the greatest moments of the past as they try to resolve their personal problems, while history and pop culture comically collide.
My thoughts: Another time travel series. More history. These characters aren’t traveling to save the world (or America), they are traveling for a more personal reason – the resolve their problems. We’ll see how much different this will be from Timeless.
Chance I think I'll keep watching: Moderate

CW
Riverdale
What it's about: Betty Cooper likes Archie Andrews, but isn't ready to tell him, Archie wants to pursue his music and figure out how to repair his fracture friendship to Jughead Jones. New student Veronica Lodge feels a spark with Archie, but doesn't want to risk her new friendship with Betty. It all sounds like typical teenage drama. However, the town of Riverdale is still also reeling from the tragic death of Jason Blossom during the summer. Riverdale may seem like a quiet town, but there is darkness hidden underneath the shadows.
My thoughts: Comic book adaptations are big nowadays, so why not Archie? I’ interested in checking I out, but I am a bit annoyed that they’re trying to make this series something the comic is not – a murder mystery. They’re making Riverdale the next Twin Peaks.
Chance I think I'll keep watching: High

Still Star-Crossed
What it's about: This period series picks up where Romeo and Juliet left off, charting the treachery, palace intrigue and ill-fated romances of the Montagues and Capulets in the wake of the young lovers' tragic fate.
My thoughts: Even though this series looks interesting, I do have a question to the writers of Still Star-Crossed. Have you read Romeo and Juliet? The play ends with the Montagues and Capulets making peace with each since it was their feud that killed the young lovers. I hope this isn’t just another story of Romeo and Juliet with different characters. I would hope that their families learned their lesson and made progress. However, I’m interested in seeing if this story can bring anything new and surprising.
Chance I think I'll keep watching: High

Time After Time
What it's about: This drama promises a fantastical cat-and-mouse adventure through time when famed science fiction writer H.G. Wells is transported to modern day Manhattan in pursuit of Jack the Ripper. Once H.G. arrives in New York City, he finds a world he never thought possible - and a young woman who captivates him. But then there's still Jack, on the loose in Manhattan. 
My thoughts: Time travel – again. But this time the main character is the “king of time travel” – H.G. Wells. I’m really interested in this concept. H.G. Wells traveling to our time trying to catch Jack the Ripper. I wonder if he will be traveling to other times as well as our own modern day.
Chance I think I'll keep watching: High

NBC
Emerald City
What it's about: In the blink of a tornado's eye, 20-year-old Dorothy Gale and a K9 dog are swept into a world far removed from our own - a mystical land of competing realms, lethal warriors, dark magic and a bloody battle for supremacy. As Dorothy navigates this dangerous world, we'll see there's no place like... Oz.
My thoughts: Another reimagining of a classic story. I’m all for mystical realms, warriors, magic and battles for supremacy (not much one for blood, however). I’d like to see familiar Oz characters, and it would be nice if they have characters from other Oz books also. (Ozma is one of my favorites.) One last thought, I just can’t imagine a K9 dog being named Toto.
Chance I think I'll keep watching: High

No comments:

Post a Comment