Monday, January 20, 2014

Peter Pan will Fly Live this Christmas

After the success of The Sound of Music Live, NBC has decided to take a chance on airing another live musical. Peter Pan (which was originally filmed live on television in 1955 with Mary Martin in the title role), will be broadcast for the holiday season. I think it's interesting that they are doing another show that Mary Martin was in (she was Maria in the original Broadway version of The Sound of Music, if you didn't know). Maybe next year they'll do South Pacific (please, no!), or I Do, I Do (hmmm), or One Touch of Venus (yes, please!).

Robert Greenblatt, Entertainment chairman at NBC said, "We’re very pleased to be underway on Peter Pan as our next live holiday musical for the whole family. In the hopes that lightning strikes twice, we think we’ve landed on another great Broadway musical, which ironically also starred Mary Martin, that is a timeless classic for all audiences, young and old, who just never want to grow up.”

He also said, “Get ready for flying children and some kind of state-of-the-art light technology for Tinkerbell.” Regarding the flying, Greenblatt said, “You see the wires, it’s part of the charm of the show, we’ll do what we can to disguise them.”

So, I'm excited that NBC will be airing another musical live, but I'm not excited about their choice. Peter Pan the musical really isn't a favorite of mine. I was hoping that they would choose a show that hasn't already been on television, and, to be frank, one that I actually like. However, it's a good choice because people are familiar with it, it's a very family-friendly musical, and they can cast a big name in the title role. I just hope that this time they cast someone who can really fly. *wink* (You thought I was going to say "act," didn't you? Nope, I wasn't going to go there.)

How do you feel about Peter Pan being NBC's next live musical project?

No comments:

Post a Comment