Sunday, December 29, 2013

Live Musical Theatre Makes a Comeback on Television: I Hope There's No Way to Stop It

I know it's been almost a month since the live broadcast of The Sound of Music, but I wanted to post a few of my thoughts about it.

The best thing to come from the show is that it had enough viewers to make network execs open to the idea of producing more live musical theatre on television. And to me, my friends, that made every negative thing said and written worth it.

So, here are a few words of what I liked and what I didn't like about the production.

What I Liked:

Audra McDonald, Laura Benanti, and Christian Borle. When you have Broadway actors of their calibre, it can't do anything but lift the production (not to mention Christiane Noll and Jessica Molaskey as two of the nuns).

Laura Benanti and Christian Borle singing "No Way to Stop It." I've loved that song ever since I was a small child when I listened to the Broadway cast recording of The Sound of Music on our family record player. I didn't understand what the song was about when I listened to it as a child, but I loved the music and lyrics anyway.

I know it will probably seem strange, but because I love live musical theatre, and I'm very familiar with performing onstage, I was a bit thrilled with the minor flubs in the production that proved we were watching a live performance. Carrie's foot slipped a little when she sang the title song on the little fake mountainside, her voice slipped a bit too, and I thought, yes, it really is live! One of the Captain's guests stepped on Elsa's dress, and Laura acknowledged it briefly and then moved on, just like you would have to do in a live stage production. Also, I went back later to rewatched the moment when lines were either missed, dropped or forgotten during the conversation between the Captain and the Nazi officer, to notice Christian Borle's (Max) reaction, and he didn't react to it at all. That is a professional stage actor.

I loved the theatricality when the wall opened and Maria walked from the Von Trapp home right into the Abbey, and when the family walked from the home into the concert hall. I wanted more theatricality like that.

It was a musical - live - on television!!!

What I Didn't Like:

I don't think that The Sound of Music was the greatest choice to try to bring back the "live television musical." Yes, the musical is well-known, because most everyone has seen the 1965 film. However, it's just not a very exciting musical. It's not very entertaining to me. I think the movie is much better than the stage play, however, it's still not one of my favorite musicals - or movies (sorry, Rogers and Hammerstein). Although, I am glad they didn't try to "remake" the movie.

Why, oh why did they put Rolf in those shorts? Who thought that was a good idea? If they thought it would make him look younger, then their choice failed miserably.

In general, because I don't really like the musical, I was pretty bored. Yes, the fact that it was live was exciting, and again, I loved McDonald, Benanti and Borle. However, the production just wasn't very entertaining to me. Stage musicals are best seen live - in person - so to make them interesting and entertaining on television, you really have to have a show that catches your attention, whether it's from the plot, the set, the production numbers, or the performances. It had its bright spots, but all-in-all, this production just didn't do it for me.

Other Observations:

I can't end this review without talking about Carrie Underwood's performance. I think she sang the part well, and I don't want to bash her, because that was a brave thing she did. But there is no denying that her acting ability is nowhere near that of her costars. Casting her brought one of the results the producers wanted - brought in viewers. But casting her didn't do the production much good.

No comments:

Post a Comment