Monday, July 7, 2014

The 12th Doctor is Coming!

We now have a date for the return of Doctor Who, and the Doctor will have a new face. Season 8 will premiere on August 23rd on BBC America. I can't contain my excitement!!

It's always hard to let go of a Doctor you've grown to like. I remember when I first saw the 9th Doctor (Christopher Eccleston) regenerate into the 10th Doctor (David Tennant). I was not prepared at all. I didn't know that Christopher Eccleston would not return for a second season, and I wasn't ready for a new Doctor. I had never seen David Tennant before, and I was so disappointed that "my Doctor" was gone. Of course I grew to like David Tennant as the Doctor, and by the time I knew that Matt Smith would take over the part from Tennant, I had prepared myself for the change, though I was sad to see David Tennant leave. Even though Matt's Doctor was very different from Eccleston's and Tennant's Doctors, I grew to enjoy his take on the Time Lord, and it was hard when it came time to say goodbye to him.

However, I am extremely excited to meet the 12th Doctor. I'm curious to see what Peter Capaldi will bring to the role, and I'm hoping for some great episodes. Even though I am a huge fan of the actors who played the 9th, 10th, and 11th Doctors, I am an even bigger fan of Doctor Who itself. I'm glad that the creators of Doctor Who decided in the 1960s that one of the characteristics of a Time Lord was the ability to regenerate, so that even if the actor playing the titular character decides he would like to move on professionally that the series will still go on.




No comments:

Post a Comment