Monday, June 5, 2017

Cinematic Blast from the Past: Black Arrow

Tell me if this sounds familiar:

You're feeling a little nostalgic, so you decide to watch a movie you loved when you were younger. When it starts, you're so excited, then after a while you realize that it isn't quite as good as you remember. It's a bit campy and silly, and the dialogue and some of the acting really is laughable.

And... it doesn't matter.

You still love it.

I can think of a dozen movies that fit this scenario. And every once in while I want to revisit those films. I can escape for a couple of hours and I'm taken back to my youth. It's the best.

One of these movies is Black Arrow, a Disney movie from 1985. It was on the Disney channel, when the cable channel actually showed classic Disney movies. The film, based on a novel by Robert Louis Stevenson, is set in 15th century England during the Wars of the Roses. One of the reasons I love rewatching this movie is that even when I was young, I knew that some of the acting and dialogue were quite ridiculous. I don't know if the overacting and campy delivery of lines were because of the director, or because of the campy dialogue. There are some good actors in the movie, and so I'm thinking it was probably a combination of both. The long pauses and close-up reaction shots of the actors were definitely a director's choice, and they just up the campiness.

Now, don't get me wrong, there are some good things about Black Arrow. It has some good fight sequences, the story has intrigue and the plot is interesting. If you like historical fiction, then you're sure to enjoy it, especially if you're familiar with the history of the Wars of the Roses. And, Benedict Taylor isn't bad to look at, either. Especially with his 80's hair.

My sister and I used to quote the movie imitating the actors' delivery of the lines. When others were quoting Monty Python and the Holy Grail, my sister and I quoted Black Arrow.

I would love for this movie to be remade with the exact same dialogue and see if it might not be as campy if the dialogue is spoken without the overacting. It would be interesting to get the script and read through it with some of my actor friends and see if it could actually be a good movie. Or we might just laugh all the way through it. Who knows.

You might be able to find it on youtube. And if you watch it, I hope you enjoy it in all of its campiness, silliness, over-acting, and quotable quotes.

Below are my favorite quotes (some just because of the delivery):

Sir Daniel: To Sir Richard! A few minutes ago, a boy. Now, a man!

Sir Daniel: Revenge has a long memory, does it not?

Sir Daniel: He has plans. I have plans. We'll see whose are best.

Appleyard: Your meat must fill his belly.

Will: Remember, when properly used, the staff is mightier than the sword.

Black Arrow: If you cease to serve Sir Daniel, you might live to reach manhood. (regarding message) Take that to your master. Tell him, I wish him many sleepless nights.

Richard: What is your name?
Black Arrow: I'm called Black Arrow. It is enough.

Joanna: Why am I here?
Sir Daniel: I am your guardian. Why should you not be here?

Sir Daniel: Pretty flower. But the wrong color.
Joanna: My father thought not.

Sir Daniel: How like your flower you are. Very beautiful.
Joanna: And like my flower I have prickly thorns. So, I ask you again, why have your brought me here?

Scar: He must be very fast with a bow.
Richard: He is.

Richard: That man could choose the next King.
Joanna: But not the rightful one.
Richard: Like father, like daughter - rebellious.
Joanna: What do you know of my father, Yorkist?
Richard: He was a traitor. So it's said.
Joanna: To you and to your kind. But to others and to me... a hero.

Warwick: The killer instinct, Brackley. If I'm born again, I would like to be born a hawk.
Sir Daniel: And please God, I'm not born a hare.

Warwick: You might have a warm exterior, Brackley, but you've got a cold heart.

Dinner guest: More wine! More wine for my friend here. More wine. Haha.

Sir Daniel: Richard. She actually jumped the moat?
Richard: Yes.
Sir Daniel: What a bright dame she will be.

Sir Daniel: Poor Richard. Not having enough time to enjoy his inheritance.

Joanna: Him. It would have to be him.

Joanna: I needed your horse.
Richard: Well, I'll say this, you have spirit, girl.
Joanna: I'm Lady Joanna, and I'm nobody's girl.

Richard: Do we go?
Joanna: Do I have any choice?
Richard: I have my orders, and I'll obey them.
Joanna: You're nothing but Sir Daniel's lapdog.
Richard: Get on the horse.

Joanna: Murderer! You've killed him.
Scar: Where is the body?
Joanna: Swept away in the river. Murderer!

Black Arrow: Whoever did this can't be far away, Will. Take some men and find him. There are questions needing answers.

Warwick: You haven't said much on the way, Brackley. Nervous or something?
Sir Daniel: No, your Grace, I'm not nervous, Why should I be?
Warwick: Afraid the bride won't turn up, perhaps.
Sir Daniel: Why do you say that?
Warwick: I had a sudden vision of you, waiting at the altar for a bride who's changed her mind.
Sir Daniel: That will not happen to me.
Warwick: (laughs) Relax, my dear Brackley. I was only joking. (laughs)
Sir Daniel: Hahahahaha.

Will: Let the others go... on foot. This one... we take.

Richard: He's mine.
Black Arrow: You're wounded.
Richard: He's mine. Give him a sword.

Warwick: A union of spring and winter. How sad. Oh, well.

Oates: Trust me.(exits the room)
Warwick: I'd rather trust a fox.

Oates: My allegiance is to you, Sir Daniel, and to no one else. On my honor.
Sir Daniel: Your honor, sir, is buried as deep as Sykes and Appleyard.

Oates: The red rose or the white. Trust me.

Man: He's a thief. Let the dog have him.
Black Arrow: He may be a thief. But he's also a man.

Sir Daniel: Some women are never more beautiful than when they are angry.
Joanna: Then I shall be lovely whenever you are near.
Sir Daniel: (evil laugh) My dear Joanna. Calm yourself. Reflect. I am not an ogre. I think I will make you a very good husband. I shall be sensitive to your every wish.
Joanna: I'll have to be carried, screaming up the aisle.
Sir Daniel. Oh, dear, oh dear, oh dear. Hannah, what shall we do with such a disobedient child?
Hannah: Beat her.
Sir Daniel: Yes, I'm sure you would. Go now.

Joanna: You're evil.
Sir Daniel: No, my dear. It is just that I believe that the ends justify the means. You either marry me or I kill you.

Black Arrow: Joanna. You must not marry Sir Daniel.
Joanna: I have to. I have to.
Black Arrow: Why? Why? (she leaves) Why!

Warwick: I know you. Richard, whatever your name is.

Warwick: I hate granting favors. They either cost me money or friends. Usually both.

Warwick: You see, Richard whatever-your-name-is. Justice must not only be done. It must be seen to be done.

Will: Helpless!
Black Arrow: Helpless. Helpless, helpless. I never felt so helpless!

Joanna: Your Grace.
Warwick: Yes, my dear.
Joanna: Do you know why I have to do this?
Warwick: I've been told. Yes.
Joanna: And you still let it happen?
Warwick: But of course.

Richard: No!
Will: No!
Black Arrow: No! You! Violator of England!

Oates: Purger-er! Murderer!

Sir Daniel: Out of my way, boy.

Black Arrow: It is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment