Tuesday, May 23, 2017

2017 TV Season Sneak Peek

It's time to talk about the fall TV season and the new shows I'm interested in watching. Last year there were 17 new shows I wanted to check out. Of those 17 shows, there's only one that I will watch for a second season. This new season there are 10 shows this year I've planned on giving a chance. We'll see if there's more than one that I will like.

ABC
Marvel's Inhumans
What it's about: After the Royal Family of Inhumans is splintered by a military coup, they barely escape to Hawaii, where their interactions with humanity might prove to not only save them, but Earth itself.

My thoughts: Ever since Skye/Daisy became an inhuman on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., inhumans have played a large role in the direction of that series. I think it has taken the show in a more interesting direction, as they have focused on how humans react to and act around inhumans. Now, ABC will have a series specifically from the point of view of inhumans, and I'm interested in seeing where the series will go and what new ideas will be brought to the table. I also wonder if there will be some cross-over between Agents and Inhumans. Since there haven't been many character cross-overs between the television and cinematic Marvel worlds, it will be nice to have another television series where cross-over can happen with Agents.

Inhumans will actually debut in movie theaters on IMAX screens on Sept 2, 2017. It will then premiere on ABC on Sept 22. 

CBS
Young Sheldon
What it's about: It's 1989, and nine-year-old Sheldon Cooper has skipped four grades to start high school, along with his less-intellectual brother. His twin sister, who's happy to stay in the fourth grade, has a better sense of what awaits Sheldon than he does. Young Sheldon may understand Newtonian physics, but his blue-collar, church-going family only care if that knowledge will help them win a football game.

My thoughts: When I first started watching The Big Bang Theory, I thought Sheldon's character was very unique, and I found his quirks quite funny. There was no other character like him on television. But after 10 seasons, I've grown tired of seeing very little change in his character. What used to be funny has now just become annoying. I'm tired of everyone pandering to his quirky needs. However, it could be funny to see some of his unique quirkiness in a young boy. I just hope they don't make young Sheldon a mirror image of older Sheldon. It takes years to grow into a "Sheldon," and I hope the writers realize that.

I am excited to see Laurie Metcalf's daughter, Zoe Perry, play Sheldon's mother, Mary. Mary Cooper is such a great character, and it will be fun to see Zoe play a younger version of the same character her mother plays on The Big Bang Theory. That was a great choice in casting, and it's lucky for the producers that Laurie Metcalf has a daughter who is also an actress. 

CW
Black Lightning
What it's about: Jefferson Pierce hung up his suit and his secret identity years ago, but when his star student daughter, hellbent on justice, is recruited by a local gang, he is pulled back into the fight as the wanted vigilante and legend, Black Lightning. According to network executives, Black Lightning will not take place within the Arrowverse (Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, and Legends of Tomorrow).

My thoughts: Another comic book adaptation, you say? Aren't there enough already? If it's good, I say no. If it isn't good, then I say yes.

FOX
Gifted

What it's about: A suburban couple's lives are rocked by the sudden discovery that their children possess mutant powers. Forces to go on the run from a hostile government, the family joins up with an underground network of mutants and must fight to survive.

My thoughts: Sounds a little familiar, no? Now we'll have inhumans, meta-humans, and the gifted. Although this series is being produced in association with Marvel Television, I'm not sure if it's based on a comic book or not. With three new "superhero" series that I'm interested in watching, let's see if I'll watch all three through the whole season. If they're all distinct enough, and introduce characters that I care about, I don't see a reason not to add all three to the other five comic book-based shows I'm already watching. 

The Orville
What it's about: Set 400 years in the future, this live-action, one-hour, ensemble comedic drama follows the adventures of The Orville, a mid-level exploratory spaceship, as its crew, both human and alien, face the wonders and dangers of outer space, while also dealing with the familiar, often humorous problems of everyday life.

My thoughts: This is one that could be either really good or really awful. I don't think there will be much a middle road here. I love a good spoof, but unfortunately, what most people find to be funny nowadays, just isn't funny to me. I think that Seth Macfarlane can be quite clever sometimes, and then again, he can be quite crass and vulgar. We'll have to see which way this one goes. If it's anything like the film Galaxy Quest, then I'm all in.


Thursdays at 9:00

NBC
A.P. Bio
What it's about: A philosophy scholar loses doesn't get his dream job and ends up working as a high school Advanced Placement Biology teacher. But he's made it clear he won't be teaching biology. He recruits his students to help him mentally break his job-stealing nemesis and win back the position he thinks is rightfully his.

My thoughts: This one sounds a bit like a cross between To Sir, with Love and School of Rock. (without the music, I'm thinking). And then again, it could be nothing like either movie. It just sounds like it could be interesting.

Reverie
What it's about: A former hostage negotiator and expert on human behavior is brought in to save ordinary people who have lost themselves in a highly advanced virtual-reality program where you can literally live your dreams.

My thoughts: The virtual-reality program brought to mind the "framework" from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and I really enjoyed those episodes that took place in the framework. If this series is anything like that, and can sustain the same kind of suspense Agents did, I think I might like this.

Rise
What it's about: A teacher takes over a school's lackluster theater department.

My thoughts: This show sounds like the kind of series that I would write if I ever wrote a TV series. I'm really looking forward to this one. I hope that there will be more "theater" than outside drama. I also hope there will be lots of staged musical numbers.

Will & Grace
What it's about: It's about Will and Grace and Karen and Jack, 12 years later.

My thoughts: The original show was very funny. I'm a bit wary about reboots. Yes, it's nice to visit familiar characters years later, but sometimes it's hard to bring back the original magic. We'll just have to wait and see. Until then, it will be fun to watch the trailer a few more times.

World of Dance
What it's about: This isn't actually a new fall show. This dance competition series premieres on May 30th. 

My thoughts: One of my favorite shows is So You Think You Can Dance, so you can probably guess that I like dance competition shows. I am looking forward to a lot of talented dances and some great dance routines.

No comments:

Post a Comment