Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Favorite Doctor Who Episodes: Bad Wolf

It's the beginning of the end for the ninth Doctor, Christopher Eccleston. I love so much about Christopher Eccleston's short time as the Doctor, and the two-parter finale capped off the reboot of Doctor Who so well.

In "Bad Wolf," the Doctor and Rose return to Satellite Five (from "The Long Game") with Captain Jack Harkness (the wonderful John Barrowman) 100 years after Rose and the Doctor left it. But this time they don't go there willingly. Someone, or something, transports them there from the TARDIS, right into popular reality TV shows, where they have to fight for their lives, literally. The Doctor is in the Big Brother house, Rose is on "The Weakest Link," and Jack is on "What Not to Wear." I bet you didn't know that those reality TV shows would be popular in the year 200,100. Well, they're not exactly the same shows you're familiar with. They've... let's say, evolved. And not for the better. It's sad though, to think that in the world of Doctor Who, in 20,000 years the only television will be reality TV.

This episode is really good. The Doctor, Jack, and Rose are all trying to get out of their game and find each other. But not all of them are able to escape. The threat of dying in the games is very real, and then we find out there is a bigger threat. A threat to the Doctor from one of his biggest enemies.

I love Christopher's performance at the end of this episode. All of the things I love about his character just shine in those few minutes. Love him!

Quotes:

**Spoilers**

Voice: You are live on channel 44,000. Please do not swear.
Doctor: You have got to be kidding.

Rodrick: Just remember, do what the android says. Don't provoke it. The android's word is law.

Trine-E: Here we go again. We've got our work cut out for us.
Zu-Zana: I don't know, he's sort of handsome. He has a good lantern jaw.
Trine-E: Lantern jaws are so last year.

Zu-Zana: We are give you a brand new image.
Jack: Hold on. I was with the Doctor. Why? Is there something wrong with what I'm wearing?

Trine-E: We're going to have to find you some new colors. Maybe get rid of that "Oklahoma farm boy" thing you've got going on.

Zu-Zana: Just stand still and let the defabricator work its magic.
Jack: What's a defrabricator? [the defabricator works its magic] Okay. Defabricator. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

Doctor: This isn't just a game. There's something else going on. Well, here's the latest update from the Big Brother house. I'm gettin' out. I'm gonna find my friends. And then I'm gonna find you.

Jack: What about a bit of color to lift it?
Zu-Zana: Absolutely not. Never wear black with color. It makes the color look cheap and the black look boring.

Anne Droid: So, Rose, what do you actually do?
Rose: I just travel a bit. Bit of a tourist, I suppose.
Anne: Another way of saying "unemployed"?
Rose: No.
Anne: Have you got a job?
Rose: Well, not really, no. But --
Anne: Then you are unemployed, and yet you've still got enough money to buy peroxide.

Doctor: I was here before. Floor 139. The Satellite was broadcasting new channels back then. Had a bit of trouble upstairs. Nothing too serious. Easy. Gave them a hand. Home in time for tea.

Lynda: You were here a 100 years ago?
Doctor: Yes.
Lynda: Well, you're looking good on it.
Doctor: I moisturize.

Doctor: I'm just a traveler wandering past. Believe it or not, all I'm after is a quiet life.

Jack: Compatible systems. Just align the wave signature. Attaboy! Got myself a gun. Well, ladies, the pleasure was all mine, which is the only thing that matters in the end.

Doctor: She's got to be here somewhere.
Jack: You'd better hurry up. These games don't have a happy ending.
Doctor: You think I don't know that?!

Jack: Jack Harkness.
Lynda: Lynda Moss.
Jack: Nice to meet you, Lynda Moss.
Doctor: Do you mind flirting outside?
Jack: I was just saying hello.
Doctor: For you, that's flirting.

Davitch: Clear the floor! He's on his way up here. With a gun!

Davitch: Don't shoot!
Doctor: Oh, don't be so thick. Like I was ever gonna shoot. [throws man the gun]

Doctor: You! What were you saying?
Davitch: But, I've got your gun.
Doctor: Okay, so shoot me. Why can't she answer?
Davitch: She's... um. Can I put this down?
Doctor: If you want. Just hurry up.

Woman: You're not allowed in there. Archive 6 is out of bounds.
Jack (cocks two guns): Do I look like an "out of bounds" sort of guy?

Woman: If you're not holding us hostage, then let us out. The staff are terrified.
Doctor: That's the same staff who execute hundreds of contestants every day?
Woman: That's not our fault. We're just doing our jobs.
Doctor: And with that sentence you just lost the right to even talk to me. Now back off!

Jack: Captain Jack Harkness, by the way.
Davitch: I'm Davitch Pavale.
Jack: Nice to meet you Davitch Pavale.
Doctor: There's a time and a place.

Dalek: I will talk to the Doctor.
Doctor: Oh, will you? That's nice. Hello.

Dalek: But she will be destroyed.
Doctor: No. 'Cause this is what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna rescue her. I'm gonna save Rose Tyler from the middle of the Dalek Fleet. And then I'm gonna save the Earth. And then, just to finish off, I'm gonna wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky!
Dalek: But you have no weapons. No defences. No plan.
Doctor: Yea, and doesn't that scare you to death? Rose.
Rose: Yes, Doctor?
Doctor: I'm coming to get you.

No comments:

Post a Comment