Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Casting News for NBC's The Sound of Music

Stephen Moyer (True Blood) will join Carrie Underwood in NBC's new version of The Sound of Music as Captain Von Trapp. It's an interesting choice, and I hope he can sing. I have no doubt about the singing of three other actors who have joined the cast. Five-time Tony award winner, Audra McDonald (Private Practice), will play the Mother Abbess, Laura Benanti (Tony award winner for Gypsy) will play Baroness Elsa Schrader, and Christian Borle (Smash, Tony award winner for Peter and the Starcatcher) will play Max Dettweiler. I love it when the casting directors for movie (and television) musicals  look to Broadway for the roles. They have made smart choices so far, since this show is going to be broadcast live.

Side note: I had the pleasure of seeing Audra McDonald in concert a few weeks ago. I knew she had an incredible voice, but she is amazing live. I can understand why she won all of those Tony awards. She will make an amazing Mother Abbess, and when she sings "Climb Every Mountain," she is going to blow everyone away.

1 comment:

  1. I was skeptical about Carrie Underwood, since I'm not sure of her acting ability and I'm worried she'll belt everything (I like her normally), and I don't know Stephen Moyer at all, but the rest of the cast is fantastic! I'm sad Laura Benanti and Chrisian Borle's shows weren't picked up for another season. I can't wait to see them again!

    ReplyDelete