Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Strictly Ballroom, the Musical

A Life Lived in Fear is a Life Half Lived

Before The Great Gatsby, before Australia, before Moulin Rouge, before William Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet, Baz Luhrmann made a little film called Strictly Ballroom. I immediately fell in love with this quirky movie when I saw it 20 years ago.

For many years since I saw it I have heard rumors that the film was being adapted into a musical. Now, the rumor is no longer a rumor. Strictly Ballroom, the musical, will be opening in Sydney in March 2014.

Now, I'm not much for adapting every movie into a musical. I don't think just any movie can be adapted to the stage - let alone add music to it. However, Strictly Ballroom is the perfect movie to adapt into a musical - if it's done right.  And the original creative team from the film will be the ones to bring it to life on the stage. Baz Luhrmann (director, co-writer), Craig Pearce (co-writer), John O'Connell (choreographer), and Catherine Martin (set and costume designer). With that group at the helm, it's sure to keep its original charm and "quirkiness."

I hope it's good, I hope it's successful, and I hope it comes to Broadway someday. And I hope that eventually I'll get to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment