Friday, September 6, 2013

Into the Woods: More Casting News

I haven't been too critical about any of the casting for the movie musical version of Into the Woods - until now.

It's rumored that an actress named Sophie Grace Brownlee will play the role of Little Red. I don't know who the little girl is, but she's really a little girl. According to her website she's eight years old. Eight years old! I think that's too young to be playing Little Red. To me, the Little Red's character represents the things we learn as we start going out into the world, and you don't usually start venturing out into the world on your own until you're a little older than eight. 

I think that the part should be played by an actress around 15-16 at the youngest. Also, if the actress is younger than 15 or 16, the scene with Little Red and the wolf would seem extremely creepy, because there are more themes there than just a wolf that wants to make Little Red his next meal. With an eight year old that's just disturbing. I also don't think her solo, "I Know Things Now," would sound convincing from the mouth of a girl that age.

I'm nervous that eight year-old actress won't be able to pull off the humor in the character as well. No offense to any eight year-old actors, but I just can't see it happening.

****Spoiler****

Also, it seems strange that an eight year-old would tell Jack, "I'll be your mother" at the end. Or maybe it would be funnier, I don't know.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong about the wisdom in this casting choice, but I think it's very unlikely.

Correction: Sophie is 10 years old. Two years doesn't make a difference in this case. She's still too young.

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear. If they cast somebody that young, I'm going to guess they're doing some major rewrites for the screenplay, like taking out "I Know Things Now." Boo. I hope this rumor doesn't turn out to be true :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Megan. Hopefully this is a false rumor. I think it's also inappropriate because Jack tells her "I don't want a mother. I want a friend, and a pet." The boy they've cast for Jack is 14, and there's a huge leap from 10 to 14, but he's also a bit young for that role (though he was amazing as Gavroche, and very appropriately age-cast). It's only a little less creepy than the pedophilia the movie makers may find themselves peddling between Red and the Wolf.

    ReplyDelete