Wednesday, September 18, 2013

TV Review: Sleepy Hollow

First I have to just say, as morbid as it was, watching the headless horseman chop off someone's head from the POV of the victim was one of the most unique camera shots I've seen in a very long time.

And now, regarding the series pilot. I loved it! I am really looking forward to seeing where this show goes. I hope the rest of the season is as good as the series opener. Tim Mison is not what I imagine when I hear the name Ichabod Crane (I guess I've seen the Disney cartoon version too many times), but I love him in the role.

The headless horseman is an impressive sight.

The mythology of the story is interesting, and after having recently watched marathons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel lately, I'm interested in seeing where the mythology takes this show. Just like Buffy and Angel, the goal here is to save the world. That's not going to be easy, right? I'm not much into police procedural shows, unless they have an premise that makes it not just a police procedural (i.e., Castle, Grimm), but I'm willing to take a chance on this one.

Please, don't let me down, Ichabod!

Side note: The police captain's name is Frank Irving. Nice shout out to the writer of The Legend of Sleep Hollow, Washington Irving. I'm going to have to read the short story to see if there are any other hidden "Easter eggs" in the show.

And just so you know, there were five decapitations in this first episode, and I'm sure many more people are going to lose their heads in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment