Thursday, December 27, 2012

Doctor Who: The Snowmen

This might be my favorite Doctor Who Christmas special. It's up there with "The Christmas Invasion." I loved Jenna-Louise, and I'm looking forward to watching her travels with the Doctor. They have such great chemistry. Their "meet cute" isn't as good as the Doctor meeting the young Amelia Pond, but I think they have better chemistry than the Doctor had with Amy Pond. The preview for the remainder of the season that aired after the special looked so fun, and I think the second half of season 7 is going to be a winner!

Observations: (**Minor Spoilers**)

I love the snowflakes that bite. Who would want to be out in a snow storm now?

I love Richard E. Grant. I just watched him again in a sweet movie I bought quite a few years ago, called Jack and Sarah, and he's so good in it. However, Grant is not sweet in this movie. He makes a great bad guy. Note: Good advice for playing a villain - don't smile.

I love that the Doctor is wearing Amy's glasses.

Love, love, love the new opening credits, especially the quick glimpse of The Doctor's face. And I love how the Tardis doors open at the end of the sequence as if to say "welcome to the newest adventure!"

Top hats are cool. The Doctor's top hat reminds me of the Artful Dodger's top hat in Oliver.

Clara definitely has spunk and gumption. Very good qualities in a companion for the Doctor.

I love that this episode has a few of the Doctor's friends in it: Madam Vastra, Jenny, and Strax.

Alice, the maid, is Annie from Life on Mars. There's a series you should check out. The British version, not the American. Well, the America version was okay, but the British one with John Simm (The Master) is excellent.

I love where the Doctor parked the Tardis in 1892 Victorian England. And I love how he gets to it.

I wonder if any material (sheets or night dresses/shirts) were ever as white as Clara's are. I doubt it. Especially in Victorian England, and where you have to assume she lives.

I love how the Doctor removes his "Amy" glasses when when he hears that Clara's one word response to why he should help her is "Pond."

When the Snow Globe (voiced by the wonderful Ian McKellen) says, "Danger, danger," I expected him to follow up with "Will Robinson." *wink*

The Doctor as Sherlock Holmes - that's a new one. Nice shout out to Stephen Moffat's other great series, Sherlock.

I loved the little exchange when the Doctor is by the pond and Clara is at the window. Matt Smith is so great with small comedic bits.

The Doctor puts his bow tie back on, and he's back in the game!

I'm glad they didn't forget about Alice, the maid, who was on the floor in a dead faint. Someone had to move her. Nice keeping track of little details.

Give the Governess an umbrella. How very Mary Poppin-ish.

I love the new look inside the Tardis. I guess the Doctor spent a lot of time redecorating after losing the Ponds.

I was not ready for the twist. Stephen, you certainly surprised me. Thanks. I like it when it's not predictable.

At least the new Tardis hasn't lost its "whoosing" sound. Some things just shouldn't be messed with.

Matt Smith is a much more physically affectionate Doctor than Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant.

When the Doctor straightens his tie, you know that he's really ready to get down to business.

Did they have mascara in Victorian times? *wink*

The Doctor never heard Oswin's "voice." It was the voice of a Dalek. Unless he means by "voice," that he heard her words.

I have to say it again: I absolutely loved this episode. There are so many directions the season can go from here. Will the Doctor have to keep searching for Oswin through the rest of the season? Will he find her, lose her, and have to find her again? Hmm. So much to look forward to! All I can say is, please Stephen, don't disappoint!

Quotes:

Clara: Snow that can remember. That's silly.
Doctor: What's wrong with silly?
Clara: Nothing. I'm still talking to you, aren't I?

Doctor: What's your name?
Clara: Clara.
Doctor: Nice name. Clara. You should keep it.

Clara: Oy! Where you goin'? I thought we was just gettin' acquainted.
Doctor (to himself): Those were the days.

Clara: Doctor? Doctor Who?

Doctor: When you find something brand new in this world, something you've never seen before, what's the next thing you look for?
Strax: A grenade?
Doctor: A profit. That's Victorian values for you.

Strax: Sir, permission to express my opposition to your current apathy.
Doctor: Permission granted.
Strax: Sir, I am opposed to your current apathy.
Doctor: Thank you, Strax.

Strax (to Clara): Silence, boy!
Doctor (to Clara): That's Strax. As you can see, (to Strax) he's easily confused.
Strax (to Clara): Silence, girl! Sorry, lad.

Doctor: Typical middle child of six million.

Clara: Who are you?
Doctor: It doesn't matter, because you are about to forget you and I ever met. (to Strax) We'll need the worm.
Strax: Sir.
[Strax leaves.]
Clara: You'll need the what? Why? What worm?
Doctor: Don't worry. It won't hurt you. But one touch on your bear skin and you lose the last hour of your memory.
[Strax comes back.]
Doctor: Where is it?
Strax:  Where is what, sir?
Doctor: I sent you to get the memory worm.
Strax: Did you? When? (re: Clara) Who's he? What are we doing here? Look, it's been snowing.

Strax: Sir, emergency! I think I've been run over by a cab!

Captain Latimer: Children are not my area of expertise.
Clara: They are, however, your children.

Digby: I think Franny's gone mad, don't you? I think she needs a Doctor.

Strax: Do not attempt to escape or you will be obliterated. May I take your coat?

Doctor: Ooh, talking snow. I love new things.

Doctor: Shut up. I'm making deductions. It's very exciting.

Doctor: What are you doing here?
Strax: Madam Vastra wondered if you were needing any grenades.
Doctor: Grenades?
Strax: She might have said, "help."

Doctor: Don't be clever, Strax. It doesn't suit you.
Strax: Sorry, sir.
Doctor: I'm the clever one. You're the potato one.
Strax: Yes, sir.
Doctor: Now, go away.
Strax: Yes, Mr. Holmes.
Doctor: Oy! Shut up! You're not clever or funny. And you've got tiny, little legs.

Strax: It's the human from the institute. What's he doing here? I suggest we melt his brain using [projectile acid fish] and interrogate him. Other way round.

Franny: Is it one of your stories? The definitely true ones?
Clara: Ah! All my stories are true.
Digby: Like how you were born behind the clock face of Big Ben?
Clara: Accounting for my acute sense of time.
Franny: And you invented fish?
Clara: Because I dislike swimming alone.

Clara: There's a man called the Doctor. He lives on a cloud in the sky and all he does all day, every day is to stop all the children in the world from having bad dreams.
Franny: I've been having bad dreams.
Clara: He's been on holiday.

Clara: Just get back now, quickly.
Digby: You're doing your other voice.
Clara: Yes love, did you notice?

Doctor: That's the way to do it!

Clara: It's cooler.
Doctor (looking at himself in the mirror): Yes it is, isn't it. It is very cool. Bow ties are cool.
Clara: No, the room. The room's getting colder.

Strax: This place is under attack. Remain calm, human scum.

Madam Vastra: Nice to see you off your cloud and engaging again.
Doctor: I'm not engaging again. I'm under attack.

Doctor: Clara!
Clara: Doctor!
Doctor: Stupid!
Clara: You were stupid too!
Doctor: [?] I'm good at "stupid"!

Clara: (grabs the Doctor's hand to run): This way!
Doctor: No, no! I do the hand-grabbing! That's my job. That's always me!

Clara: So, you can move your cloud? You can control it?
Doctor: No. No one can control clouds; that would be silly. The wind - a little bit.

Clara: How did we get up so high so quick?
Doctor: Metal staircase. It's taller on the inside.

Clara: Blimey! You really like to sulk, don't you?
Doctor: I'm not sulking!
Clara: You live in a box.
Doctor: That's no more a box than you are a governess.

Doctor: Go on, say it. Most people do.
Clara: It's smaller on the outside.
Doctor: Okay. That is a first.

Doctor: I never know why. I only know who.
[Gives Clara a key to the Tardis]
Clara: What is this?
Doctor: Me. Giving in.

Doctor: Carnivorous snow meets Victorian values. And something terrible is born.

Clara: Run. Run you clever boy. And remember.

Doctor: Watch me run.

No comments:

Post a Comment