Saturday, December 1, 2012

The Hills are Alive with the Sound of Carrie

It looks like Carrie Underwood wants to be the next Julie Andrews, or is that Maria von Trapp? 

Carrie is the latest American Idol alum to go into musical theatre. She will star in a three-hour live stage version of The Sound of Music that will be broadcast on NBC during the holidays in 2013. I really like Carrie Underwood, and I think she has a great voice. I've never seen her act, so I can't say whether or not I think she can fill the role well. You can hear her sing the title song from the musical in the following video:



I was impressed by her version, though she does sing some phrases like a pop singer, not a musical theatre singer. However, the song was done for a concert, not for a stage production of the musical. I just hope they won't let her sing the last phrase of the song the way she did in this concert. *wink*

It will be interesting to see if the production will be the real stage version of the musical or if it will be a stage version of the film. There are many differences between the original stage production and the movie, and most people aren't familiar with the stage version. Audiences will expect Maria to sing "My Favorite Things" during the rain storm, not "The Lonely Goatherd." In the stage version, the Abbess sings "My Favorite Things" to Maria before she goes off to her new position as nanny to the von Trapp children. Audiences will also expect Maria and the Captain to sing "Something Good," and not "An Ordinary Couple." I hope they include my favorite song that was not in film, "No Way to Stop It."

Speaking of the Captain, I wonder who will be cast in that part? Hmmm.

How do you feel about Carrie playing Maria? Do you think she'll do a good job? Did you like her rendition of "The Sound of Music?"

2 comments:

  1. I read somewhere that this will be a live performance...that should be interesting. This video gives me hope for the production, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that it would be live too. It is interesting, since Carrie isn't a stage performer. I really like Carrie, and I hope it turns out well. I also hope it does well in the ratings and that they do musicals like this.

      Delete