Monday, March 26, 2012

My Favorite Movies: The Spanish Prisoner


I decided to revisit a great movie that I haven't seen for years. The Spanish Prisoner is a 1997 suspense film by David Mamet. 

Because there are so many great surprises in The Spanish Prisoner, I won't recount the plot. You have to see this movie for yourself and enjoy not knowing what is going to happen.

Campbell Scott is perfectly cast as Joe Ross, an engineer who invents a process that can make millions for his company. While on a company retreat in the Caribbean, Joe meets Jimmy Dell (Steve Martin), and they become fast friends. Steve Martin does a great job in a non-comedic role. Rebecca Pidgeon (Mamet's wife in real life) plays a secretary who is stuck on Joe, and she has some of the best lines in my movie. Felicity Huffman plays an FBI agent in one of her pre-Desperate Housewives roles.

The script is wonderful and smart. So many filmmakers today think that a suspense movie has to be action-packed and fast-paced, and don't really seem to care if the dialogue is good. I think that because Mamet comes from writing for the theatre, he knows the importance of good dialogue as well as a good story.

This is one of the most low-keyed suspense films I have ever seen. But it doesn't make it any less compelling. The film doesn't use the score to heighten the scenes, but it just accompanies the action to let you feel what you would naturally feel about the situations.

Check out The Spanish Prisoner, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. Love low-key suspense. I've made Russell watch this, too. He really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete