Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Comic-Con 2012: Great News

There is a lot that happened during Comic-Con this last weekend. I am a fan of many of the TV shows/movies/directors/actors who participated this year, and I'm excited by a lot of the news that came out of the event. So, here's the news that came out of Comic-Con that makes me smile.

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

Dr. Horrible is coming to the CW.

When I first heard this news, I thought that Dr. Horrible would be a series. Alas, no. But the web series, Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog, that Joss Whedon created during the writer’s strike in 2007-2008, will air on CW in the near future. It has never appeared on TV before. If you have not seen it, watch for when it will air, and then watch it. I will try to post on my blog when I hear the date.

It is so funny, it’s a musical, and it stars Neil Patrick Harris and Nathan Fillion. And it was written by Joss Whedon(along with his brothers Zack and Jed, as well as Jed's wife, Maurissa Tancharoen). And Joss directed it. What more can you ask for?

Whedon also said he has been thinking about a "Dr. Horrible 2" but did not say whether that would appear on TV.

Yes, please.

Once Upon a Time

I’ve already mentioned that along with Mulan and Sleeping Beauty, Captain Hook will appear in season 2 of Once Upon a Time.

There was more news about season 2 at Comic-Con. The identity of Henry’s father will be revealed. I was thinking Baelfire, but that may be too obvious (what do you think?). And Jack, a.k.a. climber of the beanstalk, will also make an appearance.

Firefly

Firefly is one of my favorite television series of all time. Click here to read my review of the series.

Many of the cast members reunited at Comic-Con, and they were one of the biggest hits of the event.

There will be a one-hour 10th anniversary special that chronicles Firefly’s cast reunion at this year’s Comic-Con. The special will include footage from the reunion panel at Comic-Con, and a behind-the-scenes roundtable interview. The special will air on the cable network, Science, on November 11, 2012.

Yay!

Doctor Who

Matt Smith, Karen Gillan, and Arthur Darvill attended this year’s Comic-Con and appeared on Live From Nerd HQ.

Click here to see the panel.

There are many fun panels from Live From Nerd HQ on this website. I'm sure you'll find others you'll enjoy there. The panels are hosted by Zachary Levi. Cute boy.

Matt, Karen, and Arthur were also interviewed by John Barrowman during weekend. It was fun to see Captain Jack interview the “new” Doctor.



Oz: The Great and Powerful



I love how the trailer starts in black and white and in the old full screen, and then changes to widescreen in color. I am assuming the film will have the same conceit.

Merlin

I have watched Merlin, a BBC series based on the Arthurian legend, since the first season came out on DVD in England. There are many people who don't like it because it doesn't follow the legend faithfully (for example, Merlin and Arthur are around the same age). I love it. It's just another retelling of the legend, of which there have been many. And how many great movies are based on real fact and are not faithful to the true story? This is fiction, so it's open game. I think they do a good job of making the show character-centric, which I prefer to plot-centric. Although, they have had some great plots too. I especially love Colin Morgan as Merlin. He has taken on such an iconic character and plays him with such humor and emotion.

To read about what is coming in season 5, click here.

With all of the exciting things that came out of Comic-Con, I'm tempted to try to go next year. It's something I've never thought about doing before, but now, who knows.

2 comments:

  1. 1. I blame you for introducing me to Nerd HQ -- I can't stop watching videos! (Next up, Once Upon a Time on Nerd HQ)
    2. Hadn't heard about The Great and Powerful OZ -- so cool!
    3. I like Karen Gillan just a smidge less from that video, and Arthur Darvill 12 times more (almost done with season 5 -- I'll be sad when I've finished season 6 and have to wait for more!).
    4. Can't wait for the Firefly special!
    5. Also can't wait to finally see season 4 of Merlin so I can check out that season 5 spoiler link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan:

      At first I had wanted to put links to every panel that interested me from Nerd HQ. Then, I realized there were too many. That's why I ended up with just the one for Doctor Who and let you (and my other readers) just explore.

      Re: Karen Gillan - I had a hard time with Amy Pond's character on Doctor Who (and I didn't know if it was Amy or Karen's portrayal of Amy) until a certain episode in season 6, which made me love Karen Gillan as an actress. Ask me which one after you finish season 6.

      I really liked season 5 of Merlin. So much happens!

      Delete