Sunday, July 8, 2012

Scott Alan Concert: Broadway Comes to SLC

Last week I attended a concert that featured the songs of Scott Alan sung by local Salt Lake singers, including a few of my friends. Scott is a New York songwriter who has a musical, Home, opening on Broadway soon. I discovered Scott's music a few years ago, and I love his music. I really love his style of writing. His songs are so full of emotion and the melodies are beautiful and fun, and great to sing along to. I am looking forward to hearing more about Home, and its opening on Broadway. I really hope that the musical is successful.

Scott came to Salt Lake at the invitation of Mindy Pack, a voice teacher and performance coach, who is part of Impack Productions. Mindy entered a contest that Scott designed to find the next singing star. Mindy went to New York as one of the finalists, where she met Scott. She didn't win the contest, however, she and Scott became friends. 

Along with the concert, Mindy invited Scott to hold master classes on auditioning. I have friends who attended the classes and they said that they were incredible and very emotional.

The concert was wonderful. We have many talented singers here in Salt Lake. My friend, Jonathon, who told me about the concert, did a great job singing "Over the Mountain." I was able to meet Scott after the concert, and he was very nice. It's cool to know I've met a composer who will have a show on Broadway. (I have also met a composer who had a show Off-Broadway.) I told Scott that I was also a playwright and composer, and he said he would listen for my name in New York. I'm sure he won't remember my name, but I still have a dream to have a show on Broadway. You have to dream it for it to happen.

My favorite song by Scott is "Surrender." Cheyenne Jackson sang it on the first Scott Alan album I purchased. On his latest album, "Scott Alan Live," it's arranged as a country song. I like the original version better, but the country version is still good.

Here is "Surrender" by Cheyenne. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment