Friday, July 13, 2012

Travis Wall: Choreographer Extraordinaire

I'd like to spout off the merits of Travis Wall, dancer and choreographer.

Travis almost won the title of "America's favorite dancer" on season 2 of So You Think You Can Dance. It wasn't because Benji Schwimmer was a better dancer necessarily that he won instead of Travis. It was only because Benji won more viewers' hearts. Travis is now one of the choreographers on So You Think You Can Dance, and he has proven that not only is he an excellent dancer, but he is also an excellent choreographer. His routines are so heartfelt, filled with emotion, and a joy to watch.

This week's routine by Travis was performed by Audrey and Matt. The routine was based on the scene in Titanic where Jack draws a portrait of Rose. Now, Titanic is not my favorite movie, and when they said that Jack and Rose's story is one of the greatest love stories, I laughed out loud. (I'm sorry if I offend you Rose and Jack lovers out there. I'm just voicing my opinion.) I won't go into the reasons I don't like the film, but I will say that this routine, like most Travis Wall routines, was beautiful. It was set to "Unchained Melody," and the dance centered around a chaise lounge. Audrey's kicks were incredible, and when she ran across the chaise and into Matt's arms at a crescendo in the music, I thought this is choreography perfection. She stumbled a bit when she started the sprint across the chaise, but that landing as Matt caught her made up for it. The ending was a little clunky, but this is only week one of the competition itself. Matt and Audrey will find their groove in the weeks to come, I'm sure. Matt and Audrey are now my favorite dancers. It might be because they were lucky enough the get a Travis Wall routine. *wink*

Unfortunately, I can't find the routine on YouTube. When, and if, it becomes available I will post it. I do, however, have a few photos.



Travis Wall is young, and he has an incredible career ahead of him. In fact, he has started his own dance company, and a new reality TV show, All the Right Moves, will chronicle its beginnings. The show premieres July 31 on the Oxygen cable network. I hope he and his dancers are successful.

As promised, I am including another one of my all time favorite routines from So You think You Can Dance. This routine is from season 2, and features Heidi Groskreutz and, you guessed it, Travis Wall. It is considered by many fans to be the best routine of all time from the show. It was choreographed by Mia Michaels, another choreographer who fills her dances with heart and emotion. It's a beautiful piece. All you have to do is mention "the bench," and SYTYCD fans know exactly which routine you're talking about.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment