Tuesday, July 24, 2012

So You Think You Can Dance: Dancing is Not About The Set

Many choreographers on So You Think You Can Dance like to use set pieces and props. Sometimes they work, and sometimes they just overshadow the routine.

There were two routines on Wednesday's episode that used sets that I felt detracted from the dances. One was in a dentist office, and the other was in a bath tub. My question is - why? I mean, a bath tub?

And speaking of the routine in the dentist office, I wonder why every routine has to have a story. I can understand Broadway routines having a story, but I think too often the stories get in the way of the dance.

By the way, my favorite routine of the night didn't have a set, props, or a story. It was just a fun Bollywood number with Witney and Chehon.



This week's favorite routine from a past season is also a Bollywood routine featuring Joshua and Katee. In fact, it's the first Bollywood routine from any season of So You Think You Can Dance. It's a great routine, even if it does have a story. *wink*

No comments:

Post a Comment