Monday, May 27, 2013

Doctor Who: The Crimson Horror

For me, Stephen Moffat's time as head writer for Doctor Who has been hit and miss. As much as I love Doctor Who, some of the episodes in seasons five, six and seven just haven't been my cup of Doctor Who tea. Sometimes the episodes start out promising, and then seem to derail toward the end. "The Crimson Horror" was one of those types of episodes for me. I really liked the episode until we met "Mr. Sweet." He just didn't quite work for me.

Having said that, I do have to say that I love Matt Smith's characterization of the Doctor. He is the reason I continue to love Doctor Who in spite of some scripts that "miss" for me.

At first I thought this would be a "Doctor-lite" episode. We don't see the Doctor until about 15 minutes into the episode. There were a few Doctor-lite episodes in Russell T. Davies time as head writer, the best of those being "Blink," written by Stephen Moffat. However, Stephen Moffat hasn't had any Doctor-lite episodes during his time as head writer. This episode one is probably the closest he's come to one.

Observations:

Interesting facts: Edmund and his brother, Mr. Thursday are played by the same actor. And Mrs. Gillyflower and her daughter Ada are played by real mother and daughter, Diana Rigg and Rachael Stirling.

I wonder why Mr. Thursday went to Madame Vastra about his brother's strange death. Does she have an advertisement in the newspaper saying she investigates business of the "dark and queer," as Edmund put it?

I like Madame Vastra, Jenny and Strax. I know many fans have mentioned they would love to see a spin-off with these three. It could be an entertaining series, if done correctly. Vasennytrax. Now, there's a title for you. *wink*

I love it when Edmund's brother faints after seeing Madame Vastra.

Strax is simply hilarious.

And, Mr. Thursday faints when he sees Strax. Good show.

Strange that Mrs. Gillyflower puts salt down her blouse. Hmm.

Jenny is definitely going through every locked door and ignoring "keep out" signs.

The Doctor has become a victim of the Crimson Horror.

The Doctor walks like Frankenstein's monster. However, he was Ada's monster, not Frankenstein's.

That kiss really annoyed me. The Doctor isn't one to go around kissing women, even if they just saved his life. It was very out of character to me. I'm just so glad that she slapped him.

It's interesting how the episode comes alive when the Doctor comes out of his Crimson Horrorness. Matt is such a charismatic actor.

I like the style that the flashback was filmed. Like an old movie, interspersed with shots of black and white (or sepia) still pictures.

I wonder who did Clara's hair like that. Did she really take the time to fix it up when she learned they were going to Victorian London?

I love that when the Doctor and Clara go to Sweetville he introduces themselves to Mrs. Gillyflower as "Doctor and Mrs. Smith," and they both speak in a Yorkshire accent.

So, the "crimson horror" puts them in some kind of catatonic state, except for the rejects, who retain the crimson hue and are thrown into the canal. Interesting that the Doctor is a "reject," while Clara is not. However, the Doctor lives through it, and Ada takes the Doctor, where he becomes her "special monster."

Why didn't the Doctor's white "union suit" turn red like Edmund's did?

And now we know how an image of the Doctor was burned into Edmund's eye when he died. T

Okay, I'm not sure if I like the Thomas Thomas (TomTom) joke or not. It was funny, but I don't think it had any place in a Doctor Who script. Just sayin'.

When Clara got out of the mixture, her hair was down. And the next we see her, her hair is exactly the same as it was when she and the Doctor came out of the TARDIS. Good thing they fixed it for her exactly the same way she had it, right? *wink*

Poor Ada. She really lucked out when it came to a mother. (I'm using the British form of this phrase - there "luck out" means to be unlucky - and Ada certainly is.)

If we were going to see Jenny fight, I wish it would have been a longer and more exciting fight.

A rocket in Victorian Yorkshire. Interesting.

When Mrs. Gillyflower started pulling out all the stops (literally, on an organ), I was hoping she was going to play some menacing music. Darn.

And Mr. Sweet is revealed! That "repulsive red leech."

And daughter turns on mother. I just have to say, I wonder what it was like for Diana and Rachael - playing that scene.

How did Mrs. Gillyflower get her minions to follow her? Those who were dipped in the venom were placed in a catatonic state, so what is it with the others? Were they just brainwashed?

The Doctor's response to seeing Mrs. Gillyflower fall was very strange. He just said, "ouch." As bad as she was, that was pretty cold of him.

Mr. Sweet certainly got what he deserved, but it was quite a way to go.

And Mr. Thursday faints again. I love it.

Okay, the pictures of Clara on the computer - who took those pictures?

Why does Angie say that the picture of the "other" Clara is in Victorian London? How does she know it's London? There is nothing in the background to say it's London.

Those kids are quick to believe in time travel.

Quotes:

Edmund: We must get to the bottom of this dark and queer business, no matter what the cost.

Mr. Thursday: I have no interest in the deplorable excesses of the Penny Dreadful.

Vastra: According to my research, Sweetville's proprietor holds recruitment drives for her little community. She is only interested in the fittest and the most beautiful.
Strax: You may rely on me, Ma'am.
Vastra: I was, in fact, speaking of Jenny.
Strax: If this weak and... fleshy boy is to represent us, I strongly advise the issuing of scissor grenades, limbo vapor, and tripleblast brain spitters.
Vastra: What for?
Strax: Just everything. Remember, we are going to the North.

Strax: How will she locate the Doctor?
Vastra: To find him, she need only ignore all "keep out" signs, go through every locked door, and run toward any form of danger that presents itself.
Strax: Business as usual then?
Vastra: Business as usual.

Strax: He asked permission to enter, and then he fell over.

Abigail: Only the best for Sweetville. I hope me teeth don't let me down.

Vastra: I think I have seen these symptoms before.
Coroner: Oh, aye?
Vastra: A long time ago.
Coroner: Oh, aye? How long?
Vastra: About 65 million years ago.

Doctor: Ah! Miss me?

Doctor: Just when you think your favorite lock-picking Victorian chambermaid will never turn up - Jenny!

Jenny: How long have you been like that?
Doctor: Days. Weeks. Don't know.  Long story. I'll keep it short.

Doctor: Oh, grand! Smashin'. Eh, the missus and I couldn't be more chuffed, could we luv? Eh?

Doctor: Yes, Clara. Gotta find Clara.
Jenny: But, Doctor, Clara's dead. Isn't she?
Doctor: It's complicated.

Strax: Horse. You have failed in your mission!

Thomas Thomas: Sweetville, sir?
Strax: You know it?
Thomas Thomas: Turn around when possible. Then, at the end of the road, turn right.
Strax: What?
Thomas Thomas: Bear left a quarter of a mile and you'll have reached your destination.
Strax: Thank you. What is your name?
Thomas Thomas: Thomas, sir. Thomas Thomas.
Strax: I think you will do well, Thomas Thomas.

Doctor: Oh, great, great. Attack of the supermodels.

Clara: What's going on?
Doctor: Oh, haven't you heard, luv? There's trouble at the mill. [pause] She's a lizard.

Doctor: Ooh, "the repulsive red leech." No, on balance, I think I prefer "the crimson horror."

Doctor: Yucky red parasite from the time of the dinosaurs pitches up in Victorian Yorkshire. Didn't see that one coming.

Clara: A chimney that doesn't blow smoke.
Doctor: Clever clogs. (this is British slang for "smarty pants.")
Clara: Miss me?
Doctor: Yea. Lots.

Mrs. Gillyflower: You do seem to keep turning up like a bad penny, young man.
Doctor: Force of habit.

Doctor: I'm the Doctor. You're nuts. And I'm going to stop you.

Doctor: Mrs. Gillyflower, you have no idea what you're dealing with. In the wrong hands, that venom could wipe out all life on this planet.
Mrs. Gillyflower: You know what these are? (holds out her hands) The wrong hands.

Doctor: Hang on. Hang on. I've got a sonic screwdriver.
Clara: Yea? I've got a chair.
Doctor: Yea. That worked.

Doctor: Chairs are useful.

Mrs. Gillyflower: Forgive me, my child. Forgive me.
Ada: Never.
Mrs. Gillyflower: That's my girl.

Doctor: Well, thanks a million, you three. As ever, have some pontefract cakes on me. I love pontefract cakes. See you around, I shouldn't wonder.

Jenny: But, Doctor. That girl. Clara. You haven't explained.
Doctor: No, I haven't.

No comments:

Post a Comment