Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Holmes, Sherlock Holmes


I am going to argue that the best thing on television today is an import from across the pond. It's a small show (only three episodes each in the first and second seasons) called Sherlock.

The premise is very simple: take Sherlock Holmes and John Watson out of 19th century London and drop them into 21st century London with cell phones (or as they call them "mobiles"), texting, and blogs. Sherlock has nicotine patches instead of smoking a pipe. He is not an action hero. Sherlock is an socially awkward genius who itches to find a good mystery and solve it. There may have been one explosion, but this version of Sherlock Holmes is all about solving the mystery. And he still plays the violin.

I've never been a big Sherlock Holmes fan. I've seen a few movies with Basil Rathbone, I saw the first Guy Ritchie movie with Robert Downey, Jr as Sherlock, and I've seen a few plays based on Doyle's books. However, I still haven't read any of the books or short stories (they are in my queue of books to read, but there are so many more ahead of them). 

But then I saw Sherlock. Benedick Cumberbatch's Sherlock is more detached from the world than most Sherlocks I've seen. He seems to only be interested in the case he is trying to solve at the moment, and is the definition of cerebral. Martin Freeman is a wonderful Watson, and plays off of Cumberbatch's Sherlock so well and so seamlessly.

The acting is wonderful. It's subtle, understated, not in-your-face. Each episode is based on one or more of Doyle's books or stories. The direction is clever and imaginative, the cinematography is exquisite, and the scripts are almost flawless.

I have to thank Blogtor Who for making me aware of the series before the first season even aired in Britain. The series was co-created by the head writer of Doctor Who, and, even though I am a big Doctor Who fan, script-wise think Sherlock is better than Doctor Who; and for me, that's saying a lot. Please don't tell anyone.

If you haven't checked out the first season yet, I would recommend that you do. If you're a Sherlock Holmes fan, I'm sure you'll be hooked. And if you're not a Holmes fan, and you just like smart television, you will be a fan of Sherlock very quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment