Saturday, February 25, 2012

Stephenie Meyer and Non-Twilight Movies

Many people may not know that Stephenie Meyer has published a novel that's not part of her Twilight series. The Host does not have any vampires or werewolves or an unbearable main character.


I was hesitant to read The Host because I didn't like the Twilight series and I didn't like Stephenie's writing style of the books. A friend who loved the Twilight series let me borrow her copy of The Host. I enjoyed it very much. I liked the plot, and I really liked the main characters. I also think her writing was much better.

A movie adaptation of the book has just started filming. I am looking forward to this film. The book is so different from Twilight, and the actors who have been cast are great. This may be Stephenie's chance to have a film adaptation of one of her books that appeals to the mainstream public.

Cast:
Melanie: Saoirse Ronan (The Lovely Bones, Hanna)
The Seeker: Diane Kruger (National Treasure, Inglorious Basterds)
Ian: Jake Abel (Percy Jackson, The Lovely Bones)
Jeb: William Hurt (Syriana, The Village)
Jared: Max Irons (Red Riding Hood, Dorian Gray)
Maggie: Frances Fisher (Titanic)

We have to wait until March 2013. Darn!


Stephenie was also a producer on a film based on a book by her friend, Shannon Hale. The novel, Austenland, is about Jane Hayes, who is obsessed with the 1995 miniseries of Pride and Prejudice with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth, and no man can compare to Mr. Darcy in her eyes. A wealthy relative bequeaths her a trip to an English resort that caters to women like Jane who dream of living in the world of Regency England, and meeting their own Mr. Darcy. 

The movie was filmed on location in England, and I don't know when it will be released, but I'm excited for this film too. I am a big Jane Austen fan, and I read Austenland when it came out. I also like many of the actors who were cast in the film, especially JJ Feild. Oh, yea.

Cast:
Jane: Kerry Russell (The Waitress, Felicity)
Henry: JJ Feild (Northanger Abbey)
Miss Charming: Jennifer Coolidge (Legally, Blonde, Best in Show)
Martin: Bret McKenzie (Flight of the Concords, The Muppets)
Mrs. Wattlesbrook: Jane Seymour (The Scarlet Pimpernel, Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman)

I hope these two movies are successful. They are sure to appeal to a variety of people for many reasons. The reason they appeal to me is I liked the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment