Sunday, February 26, 2012

Stage Review: Emma


I have seen four stage adaptations of Pride and Prejudice. One was a musical. I only enjoyed one, and it wasn't the musical. So (although I was excited to see it, because I love all things theatre, and all things Jane Austen), my expectations were not extremely high when I went to see Pioneer Theatre Company's stage adaptation of another Jane Austen novel, Emma.

I am happy to say I was pleasantly surprised. The script, adapted by Jon Jory, stayed true to the book, and although some scenes and characters from the book had to be cut due to time limits, for the most part he chose well what and who he cut.

The production was well staged, and the play flowed seamlessly from scene to scene. The set was nice and simple, but the audience was still able to determine where the scenes were set. The costumes were pretty and well researched for the time. Because Emma was in almost every scene, she didn’t have time to change her costume off stage, so she changed onstage with the help of a “maid,” and I think it was a clever way to do her costume changes.

Speaking of Emma, Nisi Sturgis did a wonderful job portraying the character that Jane Austen herself said that no one would like but herself. Michael Sharon played Mr. Knightley (my favorite of all Jane Austen’s heroes). I have seen Sharon in many plays at the Utah Shakespeare Festival, and I’ve always enjoyed his performances. This performance, however, was not my favorite in the production. In Act I he didn’t quite seem sure of who his character was. He was stiff and a little boring. But that did change in Act II when he chastises Emma. After that scene, he seemed to loosen up more, and I enjoyed his performance.

The strawberry picking and Box Hill scenes were combined, and were set at Mr. Knightly’s estate, Donwell Abbey. I understand why this was done, and at first I was disappointed, but then I think it was a good choice. This is the scene where Emma makes fun of Miss Bates. I thought that there should have been a bigger reaction from the characters at Emma’s remark to Miss Bates. I wanted the scene to have more of an impact, but it seems it was just glossed over until Mr. Knightley chastised her.

The other characters were well cast. Katie Fabel played a sweet, innocent Harriet Smith, Richard Gallagher was a good-looking Mr. Elton and had the right amount of ego. I especially enjoyed the performance of Paul Kiernan who played Mr. Weston. I liked his interpretation of his character, and he really made the most of small part. Jenny Mercen, who played Mrs. Elton was snobbish and entirely unlikable, which was exactly who her character was.

I was pleased with the performance and I especially enjoyed the evening with a friend whom I haven't done much with lately.

2 comments:

  1. Karrie- Susan and I saw this production last night... where you there and we missed you?
    We enjoyed ourselves very much. The stage production was quite impressive and all the actors did a wonderful job.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, my friend and I saw it on Thursday. I'm glad you and Susan enjoyed it. I thought it was a great production.

      Delete