Saturday, June 23, 2012

Forbidden Broadway is Coming Back!

Forbidden Broadway had been an Off-Broadway staple for 27 years when it closed in 2009. It will open again Off-Broadway in September after a month of previews starting July 24th.

Forbidden Broadway spoofs Broadway musicals and plays in a cabaret-style format. It has mocked shows such as The Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, The Lion King, Rent, and Wicked. It also makes fun of theatre personalities including Liza Minnelli, Julie Andrews, Carol Channing, Michael Crawford, Mandy Patinkin, Stephen Sondheim, Patti LuPone, Kristen Chenoweth, Andrew Lloyd Webber, just to name a few.

I saw Forbidden Broadway in 2005 when I went to NYC with my friend, Colene. I loved it. I am a theatre geek, but I don’t find the theatre too sacred that I feel you can’t make fun of it and of all of us theatre geeks. I hope to go back to New York soon, and I'm excited go to Broadway. But I'm also excited to go Off-Broadway again and see Forbidden Broadway and see what they do to the likes of Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark, Newsies, Ghost, and some of the oldies too.

No comments:

Post a Comment