Saturday, June 2, 2012

Smash: Season 2

I am already a little bummed about season 2 of Smash.

Raza Jaffrey, who played Dev, will not be coming back for season 2. He may be in a couple of episodes to close his storyline, but then he'll be gone. I liked the actor, and was very annoyed with what the writers did to his character.

Jaime Cepero (Ellis) will not be coming back either, which is good news. His character was so unlikable, I don't think any viewers will be sad to see the backside of Ellis. I do feel bad for the actor. It's hard to lose your job, and the writers never gave Ellis a chance to redeem himself in any way.

James d'Arcy James (Frank) will not be a featured player in the next season. That is disappointing, because I really want to hear him sing a decent song, but it also means that the episodes might focus more on backstage, and also not try to jam every character into every episode, which I think will be good for the focus of the show.

Will Chase is also pretty much out next season. I'm not sad about that. I will be happy to see his and Julia's storyline gone.

The creator of the show, Theresa Rebeck, will no longer be at the helm of Smash. She will still write and produce, but Josh Safran (Gossip Girl) will take Theresa's place as the showrunner (person who is responsible for the day-to-day operation of a television series).

I'm excited to see what the second season will bring for Smash.

2 comments:

  1. I'm actually a bit *more* excited about season 2 because of all of these changes. I hope it translates into a stronger show! Only time will tell... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, I'm looking forward to the 2nd season also. I hope that the changes they make produce a better season than the first.

      Delete