Friday, June 8, 2012

TV Review: Breaking Pointe

ABC Family has their new series, Bunheads, that premieres next week. It's about aspiring ballet dancers. The CW also has their own series about ballerinas, Breaking Pointe, but its is a reality show about real ballet dancers with one of the top ballet companies in the country, Ballet West. It premiered last week.

I am interested in the series, not because it's about ballet, but because Ballet West is in my neck of the woods, Salt Lake City. It's fun to see landmarks that are so familiar.

The show isn't very compelling to me, but these kinds of reality TV shows are not my cup of tea. I'm not into reality shows where they just follow people around with cameras. I like competition reality TV shows such as So you Think You Can Dance, Project Runway, Top Chef, and yes, America's Next Top Model.

I would prefer to see the ballet dancers dance a full routine than watch their relationship problems, or see their dance wounds, or hear how some of the dancers don't like the 18 year old ballerina because she's moving up the ranks faster than they are.

Sidenote: Kathleen Martin (Katie) looks really familiar, and I can't figure out who she looks like. I don't know if it's because I've seen her somewhere else, or she she looks like someone I know or like someone famous. Anyone else think she looks familiar?

No comments:

Post a Comment