Monday, June 18, 2012

TV Review: Zen: Vendetta


Thanks to Ruth from Booktalk & More for introducing me to Zen.

I love Rufus Sewell, and I'm surprised that I've never seen Zen before now. Oh, what I've been missing! Just to see this man in his Armani suits is a big enough treat, but can I just talk about his eyes? The first time I saw Rufus was in Cold Comfort Farm, and the first thing I noticed about him was his gorgeous eyes. I was so looking forward to seeing those eyes in Zen, and I couldn't believe that in the first shot of him he's wearing sunglasses. Noooo! But then he took them off. Thank you.

Okay, enough about his eyes.

If you aren't familiar with Zen, the following is from the Masterpiece Mystery website:

Meet Zen. He has an unusual (Venetian) name and, in the shark tank of Roman politics, has an even more unusual reputation — as an honest detective. Aurelio Zen, the sometimes cool, sometimes bumbling, but always impeccably stylish murder squad detective is saddled with an "unfortunate" reputation for integrity, and it hasn't exactly helped his career. Nor is his personal life thriving. In spite of advances from female suspects as and colleagues alike, he is pushing 40 and living with his doting mother after a failed marriage.

A judge is murdered at the top of the first episode, Vendetta, and at first I thought the show would be like Columbo where we, the audience, know who the murderer is, and we'll watch the detective solve the crime. But while Zen is working on another murder case, the man who murdered the judge is out for revenge, and Zen is one of his targets. It's great storytelling to have these separate plot lines going on, and watch how they intersect at the end.

It's interesting how Zen is trying to prove the innocence of a man accused of murder while he has a man who was wrongly accused of murder trying to kill him because Zen helped put him behind bars.

Rufus is the perfect actor to play the dashing Aurelio Zen. Many of the roles I have seen him play have been the villain, and I love to see him as this honest detective. Rufus has a cool, laid-back air about him. And he is so very handsome.

The supporting cast is excellent, and has a few familiar faces. Ben Miles (Lark Rise to Candleford) plays Amedeo. Ed Stoppard (Upstairs, Downstairs) plays Zen's fellow detective, Vincenzo. Facelloni, the man whose innocence he's trying prove, is played by Greg Wise (Sense and Sensibility and Cranford).

The scenery is wonderful. I've missed the European location shots from the series Missed, so it's nice to see another series with beautiful scenery.

I was caught up in the story and in Zen's character. I was on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next, and how Zen was going to handle each situation. Was he going to find out who killed the billionaire and his "guests"? How would he escape from the murderer who wanted to kill him? Could he protect the ones he loves? And how was he going to get out of that cave?

I loved the last scene with Zen and Tania in the elevator. When the elevator doors open and Vincenzo is standing there - Zen and Tania's looks are classic!

Quotes:

Zen: At the time of the killings he was with the local policeman. We call that an alibi.

Moscati: I need a cigarette.
Zen: You've given them up. I'll have one for you.

Angelo: If ever you need anything in return...
Zen: Will you marry my mother?
Angelo: What?
Zen: Never mind.

Tania: They say you are too honest for your own good. And you live at home with your mother.
Zen: It sounds so glamorous.

3 comments:

  1. Seth as a good guy? Finally? Be still my beating heart! I hope this finds its way to NetFlix or Hulu Plus SOON!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadia, the third episode is on Masterpiece Mystery next Sunday.

      Delete
  2. Glad you enjoyed this! Rufus is just delish isn't he? :)

    ReplyDelete