Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Stage Review: Les Miserables

When The Utah Shakespeare Festival announced their 2012 season last year, their summer musical was going to be The Drowsy Chaperone. I was so excited because I was in it two years ago and I absolutely love the show. I was looking forward to seeing what this company would do with the show. Then, the Festival found out that they could get the rights to do Les Miserables. They couldn't pass up the opportunity because it's such a popular musical, especially in Utah, and they knew they would be able to have sold-out shows, which every theatre company wants. Hardly anyone has heard of The Drowsy Chaperone, even thought its a great show, and they probably wouldn't have made as much money.

I saw Les Mis the first time in Los Angeles in 1988, only three years after it opened in London. I absolutely loved it! I was drawn into the story of Jean Valjean, and the student uprising of 1832 in Paris. I loved the music, and the message of the story. Since that time I've seen it multiple times, including the many versions of the touring production, a regional production, and a high school production. I still love the show.

However...

This version of the musical didn't have any performances that really stood out for me. Usually when I love a show I can see it over and over, but I feel like I've seen this musical enough and I want to see something new in any new production. I am excited to see the film version of Les Mis in December because it's a different medium and so I'll be seeing the show in a new light. Throughout this whole production I just kept thinking "been there, seen that." Yes, it could have to do with the fact that I really wanted to see The Drowsy Chaperone, and maybe I'm a bit bitter about it. *wink*

All in all, the production was good, and if you love Les Miserables, then I'm sure you will not be disappointed by this production. However, there were some choices the director made that I thought were a little strange (which means they are choices I wouldn't make).

Most of the cast was strong. Valjean wasn't as strong vocally as I hoped he would be, until the second act when he sang "Bring Him Home." That was his strongest song, which is good, because it is also the most beautiful song in the show.

I only have one last thing to say, "Please USF, do The Drowsy Chaperone soon."

No comments:

Post a Comment