Thursday, August 2, 2012

Stage Review: To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird is a classic novel that most students have read at least once during their time in school. I have never read it (shocker, I know!), nor have I seen the the classic movie with Gregory Peck, and this is my first experience with the play.

The play is narrated by the grown up Jean Louise (Scout). As the narrator, Monica Bell did a good job of pulling us into the story. She was even drawn into parts of the scenes while still remaining the invisible observer. The first act was slow and a bit disjointed, but as a patron in one of the literary seminars the day after the play said, "it's slow in Alabama in the summer." I know there was so much in the novel that was skipped due to time restraints. The second act, however, consists mostly of the trial of Tom Robinson, and for me, the weaknesses from the first act were soon forgotten. 

The courtroom scene was wonderful. You could feel the tension during the trial, and just like Jem, Scout's older brother, you have to believe that Atticus has convinced the jury of the innocence of Tom Robinson. The lawyers address the audience as if we are the jury, and I think it was a very effective director's choice.

Martin Kildare was good as Atticus Finch. Even though I have not seen the film, I still pictured Gregory Peck in my mind as Atticus, but it didn't take me long to believe Martin Kildare in the role. Martin played Iago at the Festival in 2002, and he was the most charismatic Iago I have ever seen. He made it so you want to like him, but you can't, because he's Iago! So, it was so nice to see him in a part where you could like him with no reservations. 

The child actors were a bit weak. However, it would be hard for any young actor who doesn't have the same experience of the adult actors to give performances at the same level the adults do.

The set was good, and one set piece did double duty as both part of the Finch house and as the balcony in the courtroom. It was a clever use of the set.

After seeing the play I want to read the book and see the movie. So, I have the book coming from amazon and the film is next in my Netflix queue. I'm looking forward to finding out what was left out of the play. I got a glimpse of what the book is about and now I can discover for myself what makes it such a timeless classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment