Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A Prince for Britain

I'm a real English history fanatic. I especially enjoy studying the history of the Kings and Queens of Britain. I'm much more interested in royals of the past than I am with the modern royal family. However, I was excited about the news of a new heir to the English throne. I was really hoping that William and Kate would have a girl, because it would have been exciting to see a girl be the heir to the throne even if she had any younger brothers, but I'm happy for them that they have a healthy boy.



British royal trivia: There are now three generations of heirs to the British throne (Charles, William and unnamed prince). That hasn't happened since since Queen Victoria was queen, and three generations of heirs were alive at the same time: her son (Edward VII), grandson (George V), and great-grandson (Edward VIII). Edward VIII's brother (George V, who became king after Edward abdicated) was also alive before Queen Victoria died, so right before the Queen died there were four living future monarchs. I think these are the only two times in the history of Britain when that has happened.

People around Britain and the world have commemorated the birth of the new prince in many different ways. My favorite is this: The Sun (British newspaper) changed its name to The Son the day the Prince of Cambridge was born. I love it.


Speaking of The Son, I mean, The Sun, the following headline was in today's issue (well, really it's tomorrow's issue, but today is tomorrow in England):


Now, that's a plot line even Stephen Moffat probably hasn't thought to write.

Okay, so the real headline is:

I liked the first one better. We all know there's nothing the Doctor can't do. *wink*

No comments:

Post a Comment