Friday, July 5, 2013

Smash: The Tony's

I guess I really have to accept it now. This was the last episode of Smash. The show is over. The curtain has come down on a show that I was so excited about when I first heard about it. A show that had some great moments, some great music, some great singing, some great acting, and some great musical numbers. A show that was about my passion: theatre. A show that had some bumps and misses along the way, but one that I am sorry will never have a chance to meet its potential and be really great.

So, here it is... my final recap. Although, it may not be my final post on Smash, because I may find I have more to say, who knows.

Observations:

"Under Pressure" is an example of what I love about Smash. It's a great number, bringing together all of our main characters. We get to hear Julia Messing and Angelica Huston sing again. And we finally get to hear Jack Davenport sing - not much, and not enough.

Listen to Christian Borle's falsetto!

Jeremy Jordan, that's what I call holding a note.

It's a Rent moment. Too bad Daphne Ruben-Vega and Jessie Martin couldn't join in the number.

Julia and Tom wrote a musical number for the Tony's on the day of Tony's? It's so funny to me that they would wait until the day of the Tony's to finish a number for the award show. The performers still have to learn it and rehearse before the show. Isn't that cutting it a bit close - since those performers probably have to get ready for the Tony's too, and we know how long it takes for women to get ready for a big shindig like that. It's just like Smash to throw realism right out the window.

How would writing letter to your husband (who's divorcing you) with a detailed account of your affair soften his anger toward you?

It's great to see footage of Bernadette Peters' acceptance speech for the Tony she won for Annie Get Your Gun, so Leigh can give pointers to Ivy of how to accept a Tony award.

Jerry really thought that the best number to do for the Tony's was "I'm Not Sorry"? Really? There are much better songs than that. But then, I guess if Jimmy didn't want to perform, there really aren't many other songs that his character doesn't sing.

I can't believe that Daisy thinks that Derek's confession on how she got the part will help her career. It makes her look like a ambitious, do-anything-to-make-it slut. She's really letting all of this publicity go to her head - and she's becoming a real "diva."

I'm surprised that Ivy and Karen are being civil to each other. The last time they spoke, Ivy was angry at Karen for telling Ana that she slept with Derek. I wonder what happened between then and now.

Why is Jerry being such a jerk and siding with Daisy? Is there something between them? Hmm? I guess we'll never know.

It's nice not to see Jimmy the jerk at all this episode. It's about time. And it's too late.

I really hate the way Julia and Frank's story line went through the two season of Smash. It would have been so nice to have an example of a happily married couple in the theater instead of a story of infidelity. It's that whole thing about the writers feeling the need to make the show a soap opera instead of telling honest stories about backstage life in the theater. Yes, there is infidelity and divorce in the lives of some people who are involved in the theater, just like there is everywhere else, but there are also happily married people. That can make good stories too. I also don't like that it diminished Brian D'Arcy James's character, and made the writers feel that they didn't need him in the second season.

It seems to me that most people who are invited to the Tony's (especially the nominees) bring a "plus one." That means they would be given two tickets, wouldn't they? Why wouldn't Karen and Jimmy get two tickets? And would they give a ticket to someone who is nominated but is dead? Why would Kyle get a ticket?

I love that they show Leigh and Ivy as their names are announced as nominees just as they would if they were on the real Tony telecast. Their smiles into the camera are so great. So, actor-like, if you know what I mean. Trying to look humble, but deep down thinking - "I hope I win, I hope I win, I hope I win."

Just rub lemon juice into the wound, why don't ya. Daisy wins? Whaaaaat?

Of course Kyle won for best book. No surprise there at all.

So, Jimmy's acceptance speech on behalf of Kyle turns into a speech about Karen. I guess that that might have been sweet if they hadn't always made everything about Karen. It just made it annoying that it wasn't all about Kyle. Other than that - his speech was really sweet. I wish we would have seen more of that Jimmy throughout the season - I would have liked him better, and sooner.

It's so funny that Julia and Tom were talking when the winner is announced for best score, and they miss hearing their own names. If everyone's speeches at the Tony awards were like Tom and Julia's, the Tony awards would be much shorter. And they could do more musical numbers. *wink*

Derek wins best choreography for... wait for it... Hit List. Well, at least it wasn't tie between Derek Wills and Derek Wills. *wink*

It's sweet that Derek dedicated his Tony to Ivy, "someone [he loves] very much."

Why did Derek ask Ivy where Daisy is? Strange question to ask Ivy.

Derek fires Daisy right before she's ready to do the musical number for Hit List. And he has the rest of the cast of Hit List go on, impromptu on live television. Good for you, Derek, for doing the right thing and firing her. And good thing that the cast just happened to have an acapella version of "Broadway, Here I Come" ready to perform. A version, which, by the way, I absolutely love. Oh, I'm going to miss you Smash! Sorry, I'm still going through my grieving process.

And there was the setup for the third season, if it hadn't been canceled. Tom and Julia would go to Hollywood and write a movie musical. So, here's where I'm not so sad it was canceled. I don't think I would have liked them going to Hollywood. The joy of Smash to me was it was about the theater, a world that I love. I do love movies. And I love a lot of movie musicals. But I'm not sure if I would have liked the show "going Hollywood."

Tom and Julia are back together as I team. Good for them.

I loved Tom's look at Julia after Patrick leaves. It was hilarious. Awkward. Again, if the show had more comedy like that, it would have been so much better. Life in theater isn't all drama. There is comedy - funny moments that would have been so great for Smash to capture.

I loved seeing all of the cameos of Broadway performers.

And the Tony award for best performance by an actress in leading role in a musical goes to...

Commericial. You don't think they wouldn't milk this one for all its worth would you? *wink*

Ivy Lynn! Yes, Ivy won the Tony award. Not Karen. Okay, writers, I forgive you for the all of the praise you heaped upon Karen. I am happy.

I love, love, love Ivy's acceptance speech. She said what so many of us who love the theatre believe.*

And the Tony award for best musical goes to...

Well, you can guess by the above picture. I'm glad it won. This is the show we've come to love since season 1. And it was great to see Jerry's face as Eileen walked down the aisle to the stage to accept her Tony award. I'm glad that Eileen called for Derek to come up. It's just too bad that we didn't get to see any of the other cast members. I wanted to see Bobby and Jessica up there.

And now we have to wrap things up a bit.

We finally find out Jimmy's secret past. I wish that we had known the details or even just some of the details, even if Karen didn't know. I think we would have liked him much more. I think the end would have been more emotional also if we knew that he turned himself in before the Tony's. Then it really would have been a surprise when he turns up at Karen's door to go with her to the Tony's. 

Michael Swift? Whaaat?

It's over. It's really over. And I'm sad.

The big number that Tom and Julia wrote for the Tony's is "Big Finish." Ivy and Karen sing it. It's a great number, and it really is a great way to end the series. 

Quotes:

Leigh (to Ivy): I thanked you in person. That's better.

Karen (to Derek): This will pass. But you have to let it.

Julia (to Jimmy): Stop sabotaging yourself. Whatever makes you do that, it's time to face it, once and for all. It's not too late.

Karen: What's not fair is you're not going too.
Ana: Believe me, I'm gonna cry after you leave.

Leigh: Have you practiced?
Ivy: My speech? No. I'm not winning.
Leigh: No, your losing face when I win. Here, try this one.

Ivy: Good thing you got to practice that face, huh?

Julia: Is it possible that I want Kyle to win instead of me? I mean, could I actually be that selfless?
Tom: Historically, no. But people change.

Tom: You okay?
Julia: Yea. But it turns out that I actually did want to win.

Julia: Jimmy deserves original score, and we deserve cocktails with olives in them. Several.

Jimmy (to Julia): It's okay. I got the one I wanted.

Derek: First of all, I'd like to thank the Tony voters for judging the work, not the man.

Daisy: What are you doing?
Derek: Something I should have done a long time ago. Taking you out.
[Aside: If you were reading this without the context behind it, you'd think he was asking her out on a date. No, he's firing her. Yay! End of aside.]
Daisy: You can't do that.
Derek: Weren't you listening? Everyone out there hates me, so I can do pretty much anything I feel like.

Jimmy: It looks like someone forgot to the tell the announcer.

Julia: After all that, it ends here, huh?

Ivy: I'd like to thank my mother, Leigh Conroy, the magnificent Leigh Conroy for giving me the greatest gift. And that is a life in the theatre.

*Ivy: For me, there is nothing more magical than that moment right as the lights go down and the crowd is waiting in silence with anticipation for the show to begin. It's a moment full of hope and full of possibilities. So, I'd like to thank the audience for coming, and for believing, as I do, that there is nothing more important or special as live theatre.

Eileen (to Derek): Don't worry They'll get over it. All they need is another show.
Derek: I'm game if you are.

Tom (to Derek, re: the Tony award): It spins.

Ivy: Are you ready to give the people what they want?
Karen: Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment