Wednesday, July 3, 2013

So You Think You Can Dance: What was Nigel Thinking?

I do not like the new format for So You Think You Can Dance.

I don't like that they announced who would be eliminated at the beginning of the show and then made the two eliminated dancers still dance their routines. Especially since they had to listen to comments after their routines that their partner did such a great job. However, I do like that individuals are put into the bottom six, instead of couples. Sometimes I've felt that a dancer deserved to be in the bottom three, but their partner didn't, so I think this new way is more fair.

Nigel annoyed me with his "You're not dancing for your life" crap. He didn't even base his decision of who would be eliminated on the dancers' solos. He based them on the Vegas auditions, last week's performances, and discussions with the choreographers. The choice had already been made before they performed their solos. Don't have the dancers "dance for their lives," and then accuse them that their solos weren't good enough if the solos are not even going to be taken into consideration.

If Nigel had based who was going home on their solos, he would have sent the other two dancers home. Did you see Carlos's solo? That was amazing. How could Nigel accuse him of not dancing for his life, and then send him home after that solo? And then Carlos danced a beautiful Stacy Tookey contemporary. When Christina said that America got it wrong that he was in the bottom three, I wanted to say that Nigel got it wrong to choose to send him home. Badly done, Nigel. Badly done.

Carlos's Solo:



Nigel talks about keeping the dancers who have room to grow instead of keeping dancers who are already good. Why are they punishing dancers for being good already? If their goal is to keep the ones who have room to grow, why don't they just fill the show with so-so dancers and then see who learns the most? And what does this show have about hip-hop dancers, and krumpers, and animators? They don't ever seem to want to eliminate them, even if they don't do very well. Mariah and Jade's solos weren't as good as Carlos and Brittany's, but I'm sure they were kept because she's a female krumper and he's an animator. I'm not saying they aren't good dancers, I just don't think they are good as Brittany, and definitely not as good as Carlos.

After BluPrint's dance, Nigel told Blu Print to "fake it till you make it." What he really means is, "You don't have the dancing chops in all genres, but don't worry, we won't cut you because you're an animator."

I love So You Think You Can Dance, but I'm a bit underwhelmed by the routines so far. I've been watching some past favorite routines, and I don't think any of the routines come close to those routines. I want to see routines that are emotionally filled, and that have unique and mind-blowing choreography. I've been entertained by some of the routines, but not yet blown away. I'm waiting...

No comments:

Post a Comment