Thursday, July 4, 2013

Smash: The Nominations

These last two recaps of Smash are dedicated to my good friend, Megan, whom I first met when we played courtesans in a production of A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. Since then we've done a few more shows together. Thanks for enjoying the recaps!

If you've read any of my previous recaps posts for Smash, you know that I don't think that the show lived up to its potential. I was hoping that it would get renewed for a third season so it would get a second (or, I guess you could say, third) chance to get it right. Oh well, if wishes were fishes, as they say.

Watching this episode reminds me again of how much I'm going to miss this show - the backstage look at theater part. Not so much the soap opera plot lines. Even though there weren't any production numbers, I enjoyed the inside look (albeit quite fictional look) at the nomination season on Broadway. The excitement of getting nominated, of winning and losing.

Observations:

It's interesting that Ivy has a poster of Heaven on Earth, the Broadway musical she was in when she auditioned for the then untitled Marilyn Monroe musical in season 1, on the wall above her bed. Why wouldn't she have a poster for Bombshell? She's starring in that.

Agnes was so excited to tell Eileen that Bombshell got 10 Outer Critics Circle nominations, and Eileen has to burst Agnes's bubble by telling her that Hit List got 11 nominations. Come on, Eileen (ooh, there's a song there), get excited for your 10 nominations instead of boohooing that Hit List got one more than you did. Interesting fact: There are only 11 Outer Critics Circle awards that a musical can win. I wonder which one Bombshell didn't get nominated for. I know, this show is fiction, so it could be anything (except for the ones they specifically say in the show it was nominated for), so let me make my guess: outstanding actor in a musical.

I haven't ever seen the star of a show take their curtain call solo. But Ivy did. Strange.

Is the fictional musical The Gathering Storm really supposed to be three acts? A musical in three acts - I've never heard of that before. I've heard of plenty of plays that have three acts, but not any musicals.

Tom just demonstrated why you never use your cell phone during a show. I think it's funny how the writers thought it would be so "hip" and "modern" to let audience members use their cell phones during Hit List, but then they have this scene with Tom using his cell phone during The Gathering Storm as a commentary of how annoying it is to other audience members.

Come on, Eileen (sorry, I just had to say it again), tell Tom to shut that phone off! However, it is hilarious how he uses the light of the phone to see who it is that's sitting behind him in the theater.

I'm shocked!!! Karen won the Outer Critics Circle award for outstanding actress in a musical. Oh, wait. No, I'm not shocked at all. We're talking about Miss Perfect, Karen Cartwright. Well, after the few short scenes I've seen of her in Hit List, I definitely wouldn't have voted for her.

Why would Ivy think that Karen won the OCC award just because she trash-talked Ivy? I don't think that's how critics decide who to vote for. I think the critics vote by, surprise, who actually had the best performance.

I just love Bobby and Jessica. I'm going to miss them. Hey, I've got a great idea! NBC, why don't you give them their own spin-off series. It could be about two best friends who are gypsies on Broadway. You could call it Gypsies. They could also go on tours of Broadway shows, and do regional theater. It could be great fun. Please, oh, please!

Tom won the Outer Critics Circle award for best director! Good for him. However, he did tie with Derek. Cop out anyone?

Do these writers do their research? The Outer Critics Circle doesn't have a category for best book. You can win outstanding musical or outstanding score - not outstanding book. Didn't any of these Broadway actors in the show tell anyone that that award doesn't exist? I'm so disappointed.

I'm surprised that we don't get to see Karen finding out she won the OCC award. Even though it's annoying to me that she won, it's a big deal for someone in their first Broadway show to win an award like that. When we see Karen again after we find out she won, we don't see any kind of excitement from her. We don't see any excitement from her about anything. For someone who has reached her dream, she doesn't seem happy at all.

And we just got to the opening credits. Boy a lot happened before those credits.

If Daisy is typical of actors trying to make it on Broadway, it's a sad thing to say about actors trying to make it on Broadway.

Were Julia and Kyle "close?" Julia spent a few days helping Kyle with the script, I wouldn't call that being "close."

The scene with Tom trying to take the wine back at the hotel is pretty funny. I really wish that Smash had had more comedy in it, and less angst. I think it would have been a better show.

Yes, Ivy said something she shouldn't have about Hit List and Kyle, but I'm shocked that an audience member would say what she said to Ivy in the first place.

It's nice to see that Tom and Derek are friends again.

It's so hard to see what an unlikable person Jimmy is. There is a way to make a character jerk and still be strangely likable - look at Derek. The writers just never figured out how to do that with Jimmy's character. It's so frustrating.

The episode was going so well, and then they throw in that "circle of Smash." People who were friends, and liked each other, now have a major falling out. Big scene, big blowup. But, we do get Eileen to break up the fight with one of her. The only sane person around.

Okay, I like Karen right now. She tells Jimmy that he needs to take a break from performing, and actually see the show he wrote with Kyle. It's an amazing thing to see a show that you wrote performed on a stage. I can't imagine what it would be like to see it performed on a Broadway stage. I hope someday I do.

Poor Derek. He did something really crummy, but I feel sorry for the way everyone is treating him. I guess it's because he really is a likable character. *wink*

And the Tony Nominees Are (the ones we care about):

Featured Actress in a Musical:
  • Leigh Conroy: Bombshell
  • Ivy Lynn: Liaisons
  • Daisy Parker: Hit List
Choreography:
  • Derek Wills: Bombshell
  • Derek Wills: Hit List
Best Book of a Musical:
  • Kyle Bishop: Hit List
  • Julia Houston: Bombshell
Original Score:
  • Bombshell
  • Hit List
Direction of a Musical:
  • Tom Levitt: Bombshell
  • Derek Wills: Hit List
Actress in a Musical
  • Karen Cartwright: Hit List
  • Ivy Lynn: Bombshell
It's Cheyenne Jackson and Christine Ebersole announcing the Tony nominations. So cool.

Psyche! They accidentally skipped Ivy's name, so she didn't think she got the nomination. But, surprise, she did! Whew!

Why do they have to make Frank so horrible. I liked him. They really screwed up with that plot line.

Derek is being a man and owing up to the mistake he made. Good for you, Derek.

Quotes:

Patrick Dillon: Are you kidding me? Haven't you ever been in a theater before?
Tom: Not only have a been there, I just won a major award for it. Best Director.

Sam: But, hey, awards are not important. Right?

Tom: Please tell me those are J. Crew.

Agnes: Ah, if it isn't my two favorite P.R. disasters. What are you going to do for an encore today, burned down Table 46?

Tom: You should know that our encounter with the wine did not go well.

Jerry: Eileen. Thought you'd be wearing black today.
Eileen: No, Jerry. I'm saving it for your funeral.

Derek: Okay, this is awkward. Do you want to go first, kind sir?
Tom: You first. I'll finish. That seems familiar.

Eileen: My life has to be about more than this show.

Julia: Artists shouldn't feel ashamed about helping each other. It shouldn't always be a competition.

Tom: We did everything possible to blow these nominations. I take great solace in that.
Ivy: We didn't go halfway, it's true.

Ivy: Of course that's her. She probably wants me to withdraw.

Ana: Well, I'm gonna go in the other room and... eavesdrop.

Jimmy: Kind of nice knowing that you're leaving something behind no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment