Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: season 3, ep. 14, Quippy Quotes

"Bad Girls" is a very important episode in season 3.  A major event happens that causes Faith to turn to the "dark side," and sets up the  eventual face-off between our two slayers. We also meet Wesley, a new Watcher. Wesley's time on Buffy the Vampire Slayer was brief, but that lead to his significant part in Angel. Wesley knows what it means to be a Watcher, he just doesn't know what it means to kills demons. He's got the book-learnin', but he's a bit green in the field.

Faith's view of being a slayer is very different from Buffy's. Buffy sees it as a "calling." It's her duty to rid the world of demons, and her role as a slayer has rules. Faith sees being a slayer as having power. She thinks that a slayer is above the law - to Faith there are no rules. In this episode Faith's view of slaying starts to rub off on Buffy. And then something happens that sends Faith to a place where Buffy can no longer reach her, and the consequences will eventually lead to the "end-of-the-world" season finale.

Aside: Balthazar reminds me of Jabba the Hut (except with a human-looking head), and a little bit of Cassandra from the "New Earth" episode of Doctor Who. I'm just waiting for him to say, "Moisturize me, moisturize me!" *wink* The closest he gets is "Moisten the front." End of aside.

Quotes:

Faith: You think too much.
Buffy: Hey, there's one more.
Faith: How do you know?
Buffy: I think too much.

Buffy: K, count of three. One...
[Faith attacks the vampire]
Buffy: Three.

Faith: Nicely diverted, B.
Buffy: Diverted? That was me, fighting for my life, Miss Attention Span.
Faith: This isn't a Tupperware party. It's a little hard to plan.
Buffy: The count of three isn't a plan. It's Sesame Street.

Mayor: I just love The Family Circus. That P.J., he's getting to be quite a handful.

Mayor: Where's the owner of these fine implements?
Mr. Trick: The common term is "slain."

Xander: Is anyone else intimidated? Because I'm just expecting thin slips of paper with the words, "No way," written in crayon.
Oz: They're typing those now.

Willow: I'm so overwhelmed! I... I got in! To actual colleges! And... and they're wooing me! They're pitching the woo.
Buffy: The wooing stage is always fun.

Xander: I feel your pain, Wil. Like, right now, I'm torn between the fast-growing fields of appliance repair and motel management. Of course, I'm still waiting to hear back from the Corndog Emporium, so...

Cordelia: That's so cute. Planning life as a loser? Most people just turn out that way, but you're really taking charge.
Xander: The comedy stylings of Miss Cordelia Chase, everyone.

Xander: I'm not gonna waste the perfect comeback on you now, but don't think I don't have it. Oh, yes, its time will come.

Willow: Chemistry's easy. It's a lot like witchcraft, only less newt.

Wesley: I have, in fact, faced two vampires myself. Under controlled circumstances, of course.
Giles: No danger of finding those here.
Wesley: Vampires?
Giles: Controlled circumstances.

Wesley: A good slayer is a cautious slayer.
Buffy (to Giles): Is he evil?
Giles: Not in the strictest sense.

Wesley: Why don't you tell me about last night's patrol.
Buffy: Vampires.
Wesley: Yes?
Buffy: Killed 'em.

Wesley: I didn't get this job because of my looks.
Buffy: I really, really believe that.

Wesley: I don't want to bore you with the details.
Buffy: A little bit late.

Wesley: Are you not used to being given orders?
Buffy: Whenever Giles sends me on a mission, he always says, "Please." And afterwards I get a cookie.

Buffy: Don't say anything incredibly interesting while I'm gone.

Faith: Slaying's what we were built for. If you're not enjoying it, you're doing something wrong.

Buffy: Wait, stop! Think!
Faith: No, no. No!

Wesley: These are all the diaries, then? Yours included?
Giles: That's everything. Knock yourself out. Please?

Wesley: Here's you first entry. "Slayer is willful and insolent." That would be our girl, wouldn't it?
Giles: Well, you have to get to know her.
Wesley: "Her abuse of the English language is such that I understand only every other sentence." This is going to make fascinating reading.

Buffy: I hate it when they drown me.

Giles: Are you all right?
Buffy: I had to lather, rinse and repeat about 5 million times to get the sewer out of my hair, but otherwise, I'm of the good.

Wesley: Remember, the three key words of any slayer are preparation, preparation, preparation.
Buffy: That's one word three times.

Buffy: I have a chem test. So sad that I'm actually happy about that.

Wesley: You're not helping.
Giles: I know. I feel just sick about it.

Xander: Can we resume Buffy's "Ode to Faith" later, like when I'm not actively multiple-choicing?

Wesley: Ah. There you are.
Buffy: Ah. Speak of the really annoying person.

Buffy: Okay, we got 10, maybe 12 bad guys, and one big demon in desperate need of a Stairmaster.

Buffy: We need a little more fire power than none.

Faith: When you gonna get this, B? Life for a slayer is very simple. Want, take, have.

Wesley: It's simply time for somebody else to take the field.
Giles: Now's a good time to start.

Wesley: What is that thing?
Giles: That would be your demon. You know, the dead one?
Wesley: There's no need to get snippy.

Balthazar: You know what I want.
Giles: If it's for me to scrub those hard-to-reach areas, I'd like to request that you kill me now.

Balthazar: Slayer. You think you've won. When he rises... you'll wish I'd killed you all.

Mayor: I don't understand why Alan would miss this. He's usually so punctual.

Mayor: This officially commences the hundred days. Nothing can harm me until the ascension. [begins to laugh] Gosh, I'm feeling chipper. Who's for a root beer?

No comments:

Post a Comment