Sunday, April 15, 2012

Smash: The Workshop


Finally, an episode that centers around "Marilyn, the Musical."

I really liked The Workshop. I hope for more episodes like this. I loved watching the montage of the musical itself. I wonder if eventually we will get a two hour episode of the whole musical. If so, I hope Ivy, not Karen, plays Marilyn. Or they could have Karen play Norma Jean, and Ivy play Marilyn.

On to my observations and quotes...

Ellis even eavesdrops on the building manger. Didn't his mother ever tell him it was rude to listen to people's conversations? If so, he didn't listen. *wink*

It's funny that Karen tells the record producer that she is more of a stage performer because she is such a pop singer.

I really like Katherine McPhee's voice, but I don't like watching her sing - her arms are so annoying.

Jessica: So, how did it go? (This is a repeat of her line in "Chemistry." Let's see how many times she says the line.)

Leigh (Bernadette Peters): Traffic was never like this when I lived in New York.

Leigh: Ivy was quite reluctant to let me come.

I love Bernadette Peters, and I was so excited that she was a guest star. However, I wish she had sung a song other than "Everything's Coming Up Roses." But, it did fit the situation with Ivy I suppose.

I wonder if everyone's reaction to Bernadette was real or acted. I'm sure that most of them were star struck.

Derek: The child thing never ceases to perplex me.
Tom: Because you're a reptile.

Derek: That's the least offensive thing I've said in days.

Yay! Julia is finally feeling guilty.

Eileen, you need to put it to Ellis more often.

Leo: You're supposed to be at rehearsal.
Julia: You're supposed to not be smoking pot.

Julia: Don't be so polite you little drug addict.

Leigh: I was over getting nerves by the time I was your age, but you're in the ensemble.

Eileen has eyes for Nick, the bartender.

The montage of everyone in bed the morning of the workshop is interesting, and so random.

I love the perfectly timed bit with Jessica, Bobby, and Karen while they're warming up.

Ivy is conveniently stuck in the elevator so Michael and Julia can improvise the scene between Marilyn and Joe, which is really a real scene between Michael and Julia.

Michael: I need a break.
Derek: Stay out of the elevator.

Eileen: We're going to make a hit out of this because Marilyn deserves it. (Marilyn doesn't deserve it, she was just a movie star. Oh, and she's also dead.)

Julia: Where's Leo?
Frank: He's in High School now honey, he's going to start skipping things sooner or later.

If Leo's in High School, and the workshop is during the day, then shouldn't he be in, um, High School?

Tom: Ivy, you were born to do this. You have ice water in your veins. (So, I have to admit I had to look that up. I've heard the saying before, but never knew what "ice water in your veins" meant. So, for those of you who, like me, didn't know, it means you're calm under pressure.)

I have something else to confess. I loathe the saying, "without further ado." So, when Derek started to say "without further..." I started to groan. But he surprised me and said "delay." I don't mind "without further delay." Thanks Derek.

I loved watching Leigh's face as Ivy started singing. You can see her eyes well up with tears.

As much as I don't like Will Chase's character, Michael, I really like his voice, and I liked the song Lexington and 52nd St.

Karen: I wouldn't miss [the workshop] for the world.

I like the shot of Ivy and Leigh standing in front of the mirror. Even though they are standing face to face a few feet away from each other, because there are mirrors on both ends of the room, the second reflection looks like they are standing within an arms reach of each other. Cool.

Leigh: I know how heartbreaking this world is.

Leigh: For years I've watched as people without an ounce of your talent have passed you by. (pause) That's the Theatre.

Leigh: There's no question. You're a star.

Derek: Do you want to fix the show or indulge in paranoid fantasies?

No comments:

Post a Comment