Saturday, January 28, 2012

Beauty and the Beast: A New Series?


Okay, I read something this morning that first made me excited, and then made me wary.

The CW is has ordered a pilot for an adaptation of the 1980’s television series “Beauty and the Beast.”

"Beauty and the Beast," is loosely based on the CBS series starring Ron Perlman and Linda Hamilton, will deliver "a modern-day romantic love story with a procedural twist." Jennifer Levin ("Without a Trace," "Felicity") and Sherri Cooper ("Brothers and Sisters") will write and executive produce, with Paul J. Witt, C. Anthony Thomas, Ron Koslow and Bill Haber also executive producing. The pilot will be produced by CBS Television Studios.

I loved that series! It was one of my favorite shows in the 80s. It seemed so romantic to me when I was young.

Catherine is a corporate lawyer who is attacked one night, and saved by Vincent, a beast who lives in tunnels under Manhattan. He doesn’t live alone. There is Father, who saved his life when he was a baby; and there is a community of rejects and misfits living in the tunnels with them.

When Catherine is well enough to go back to her life, she quits her high profile job and starts working for the District Attorney's office. And somehow a psychic bond was created between the two, where Vincent can sense what Catherine is feeling, especially when Catherine is in danger (and because of the nature of her job her life is in danger often), and Vincent comes to her rescue.

I know many women fell in love with Ron Purlman’s Beast. They didn’t just make him ugly, he was definitely a beast. But that beautiful voice and caring nature made women fall for his character.

Very romantic.

I bought the DVD for the first season a while back, and I still enjoy it. And even though it was made in the 80s, it doesn't seem too dated (but that could just be my bias). I hope if they do remake the series they will keep the romantic aspect of it (after all, this is Beauty and the Beast), and the timeliness of the characters. If they make it as well as Once Upon a Time or Grimm, I will watch it.

I have one thing to say to CW: Choose your Vincent well.

No comments:

Post a Comment