Friday, January 20, 2012

Les Miserables: The Movie Musical


Les Miserables the musical is finally going to be Les Miserables the movie.

Many of the main characters have been cast, and there is a bit of controversy with some of the casting, as is expected with a musical that is beloved by so many people.

I don’t, however, want to talk about the casting (although it is listed below) but about something I read that makes me very happy.

“Unlike most film musicals, the cast will record their vocals live on camera rather than go into a studio first then mime on film to a pre-recorded vocal… First they have to learn the complex songs, then they’ll have to get it right on set in from of the other stars and crew.”

Did you get that? The musical numbers (which are basically the whole show) will be filmed live, not prerecorded. When I read that, I almost jumped out of my seat for joy!

One of the great things about live theatre is singing “in the moment.” Singing with the emotions of the moment as you’re actually acting is so different than prerecording the music and then lip-syncing what you sang in the studio and trying to act to that.

This is especially important when the show is a “sung-through” musical, meaning the majority, if not all, of the dialogue is sung, not spoken. Prerecording the musical numbers is like prerecording all of the dialogue in a movie and then lip-syncing the dialogue while you film the scene. It takes all of the spontaneity out of trying new things – to get the best take.

I’m even more excited for this movie to come out!

Cast (according to Internet Movie Database):
Jean Valjean: Hugh Jackman
Inspector Javert: Russell Crowe
Fantine: Anne Hathaway
Cosette: Amanda Seyfried. (rumored)
Marius: Eddie Redmayne
Thenardier: Sacha Baron Cohen (rumored)
Madam Thenardier: Helena Bonham Carter (rumored)
Enjolras: Aaron Tvelt (rumored)

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, I didn't know this was coming. It will be cool that the play will reach a broader audience this way.

    I love the cast list if that's it above. I think the choices for the Thenardiers are great for the individual roles but I don't know how they will work as a couple.

    I also am not sold on Hathaway as Fantine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope we'll all be pleasantly surprised by the film and the performances. And if not, we can listen to our favorite cast album and imagine it the way it should be.

    ReplyDelete