Friday, January 27, 2012

Good to See You, Chuck

Last week my good friend, Celeste, and I went to a concert, 100 Years of Broadway. I was looking forward to it, and didn't know what to expect, other than a lot of music from Broadway musicals. That made me happy enough, because I am (and I'm not ashamed to admit it), a musical theatre junkie!

Then I read the program and I was even more excited. One of my favorite Broadway singers was one of the five performers that night.

I was first introduced to Chuck Wagner when I bought the Broadway cast recording of Into the Woods. He originated the role of Repunzel's Prince, and his duet, Agony, with Cinderella's Prince is one of the highlights of the musical. But, although I really love the song, I didn't pay that much attention to Repunzel's Prince. 

It wasn't until I heard him on the concept album of The Scarlet Pimpernel that I was bowled over by Chuck Wagner's beautiful solo baritone voice. When he sang Into the Fire, I was so blown away that I was ready to go to France to fight the Republic (if I were living in the late 18th century).

Soon after I  heard him as Sir Percy on The Scarlet Pimpernel concept album, I saw him in the title role in the touring production of Jekyll and Hyde. He was so good, and when he sang This is the Moment, it brought down the house.

So, waiting for the concert to start I was excited to see that Chuck would be singing classic baritone Broadway hits including This is the Moment. It was so good to hear him singing live again, and to hear him sing that song gave me chills!

He also sang Man of La Mancha, Stars (oh, Russell Crowe, you have a lot to live up to!), and If I Can't Love Her (oh, more chills!). He also showed what a great sense of humor he has by growling like the beast, and also by singing If Ever I Would Leave You. What? you say, that isn't a comic song, it's a love song. Well, he sang it to a woman in the audience, and as he sang it to her in his beautiful baritone voice, he push her husband (or significant other) out of the away. He also mixed up the verses and joked about it. The audience ate it up. 

My only disappointment was that the program listed The Impossible Dream, which I figured he would sing, and he didn't sing it (there were a lot of changes to the program). It would have been so nice to hear him sing that beautiful song.

The other singers that night were also wonderful, and it was such a treat to hear some of my favorite Broadway classics, old and new, but I was so happy to hear Chuck Wagner again and remember why I enjoy listening to him. I was also excited to be able to tell him personally after the show how much I enjoyed the show. And Celeste took our picture. 

Thanks Celeste!

And thanks Chuck!

Side Note: I didn't buy the CD. I already have it (I bought it more than 10 years ago); however, they were selling his CD there and I asked if we could take a picture with us holding the CD. I'm such a nerd.

No comments:

Post a Comment