Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Grammar Gaffe of the Week: Myself

Many times people use myself when they should use me or I. They usually use it because they're unsure if they should use I or me, so they end up using myself instead.

Myself is a reflexive pronoun, which means you use it primarily when you are referring to something you do to yourself.

Correct:
I looked at myself in the mirror.
I gave myself a good talking to.

Correct:
The book was written by Jane, and me.

Incorrect:
The book was written by Jane, and myself.

Correct:
Bob, Jane and I went to the movie.

Incorrect:
Bob, Jane and myself went to the movie.

An easy way to remember which pronoun to use is to take out Bob and Jane. You wouldn't say, The book was written by myself, or Myself went to the movies.

The big thing is to not be afraid of me, it's not always the wrong word.

Now, just between you and me, I'm going to give myself a little break.

2 comments:

  1. There's also a misuse of "I" and "me" in general when used with other people. "This is from John and I." or "Susan and me want to come, too."

    I have to admit that I cringe a little when I hear these. It's usually at work from people with college degrees.

    A little humanity, people, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree ever so whole-heartedly! I will have a post on that subject soon.

      Delete