Friday, November 9, 2012

Once Upon a Time: Tallahassee

Emma and Hook climb up the beanstalk, the beanstalk made famous by Jack (who really never came down the beanstalk), and meet a Giant that looks a lot like Hurley from Lost. And we finally meet Henry's dad. I'm so glad that he really loved Emma and didn't just abandon her because he was a jerk. I'm interested to see the reunion between these two.

Observations:

The Giants grew the magic beans that open up portals? How tiny are those beans to giants? They seem awfully small for them to even see, let alone be able to harvest.

Okay, again, what is the point of Mulan and Aurora. Nothing. They are what you call in the theatre, "throw-away characters." They're really there mostly for reaction shots. I want to see them have some kind of significance, see their back story so we can learn about them and maybe care about them, or just get rid of them.

Now we know where Emma got her yellow Bug. She tried to steal it in Portland. She tried to steal it from someone who had already stolen it.

I loved watching how Hook just stood there watching the women as they fought about who should go up the beanstalk with him to get the compass.

Mulan gives Emma a powder made from poppies that can put someone to sleep. Another Oz reference. Are they foreshadowing something here?

It's kind of nice to see Emma as a carefree teenager in the flashback, even if she's a thief. She's become so cynical and distrusting as an adult. It is funny to see how they make her look young - ponytail and glasses. Because all 17 year-old girls in 2001 wore their hair in a ponytail and wore glasses. *wink*

Charming lit a candle for Snow when she woke up with nightmares. That's so sweet.

That lipstick on 17 year-old Emma is pretty dark. Especially when they want her to look young. I would have had her wear pink or nude color lipstick.

The special effects are really bad. Most of the time I don't notice the special effects because they're pretty well done. But the Giant and the computer generated stuff are just bad.

Poppies!

The description of the red room in Aurora's nightmare reminds me of Jane Eyre. Maybe it's Jane's dead Uncle Reed who's in the room with her.

Jack's name is etched into his sword, because we needed to be sure that it was Jack that died at the top of the beanstalk.

It's August! Now, I wasn't expecting that.

So, this episode million dollar question is: What's in the box?

It's so sad that Neal deserted Emma so she could have a better life. It's more sad that Emma doesn't know that's why he deserted her.

At least August kept his promise to let Neal know when the curse was broken.

Emma is smart not to trust Hook, but it would be so hard. That man is handsome and charming!

I love, love how protective Snow is of Emma.

Charming lit a candle for Henry when he woke up from a nightmare. That's so sweet. Henry had the same nightmare that Aurora had except it was a woman in the room instead of a man. Jane's Aunt Reed? *wink* I wonder if it's the same nightmare that Snow had. Or has, maybe she has them again since the curse has been broken.

About the preview for the next episode: Ask and you will receive. It's the first full moon after the breaking of the curse, and the big bad wolf appears. It's Monroe! Oops, wrong show. It's Ruby!

Quotes:

Neal: Go! We got lucky.
Emma: We? This isn't your car either? I stole a stolen car?
Neal: Now, how about that drink?

Mulan: All due respect, I'm the best equipped to go. How many wars have you been through?
Snow: My share.
Aurora: It should be me.
Mulan: You've never fought in a battle.
Snow: This is about us getting home. To our loved ones.
Aurora: Because I have no loved ones. If I fail you can still go on.
Emma: It's me. I'm going and I'm not going to fail.
Snow: You're new here.

Hook: Ladies, in this world we are slaves to time and ours is running out. In other words, tick tock.

Emma: Don't think I'm taking my eyes off you for a second.
Hook: I would despair if you did.

Hook: Your hand, it's cut. Let me help you.
Emma: No, it's fine.
Hook: No, it's not.
Emma: So, now you're going to be a gentleman?
Hook: Giants can smell blood, and I'm always a gentleman.

Emma: Rumpelstiltskin. He took more than your hand from you, didn't he? That's why you want to kill him.
Hook: For someone who's never been in love, you're quite  perceptive, aren't you?
Emma: Maybe I was, once.
(Me: In love or perceptive? *wink*)

Neal: The manager may have been a drunk, but the security cameras are stone sober.

Neal: You want to steal the watches to help me get away with stealing the watches?

Hook: I don't mean to upset you Emma, but I think we make quite a team.

Hook: What's your rush?
Emma: How long do you think magic knock-out powder lasts?
Hook: I've no clue.
Emma: That's my rush.

August: Think of me as Emma's guardian angel.
Neal: Angel? I'd say you'd be doing a crap job.

August: Do you believe in magic?
Neal: I take it you do.
August: So will you, trust me.

August: It's been a while. Where did you go?
Neal: Tried to lose myself. It didn't work.

Snow (to Mulan): I don't care what you say. You do not put my daughter in danger!

2 comments:

  1. 1. Emma keeps saying that she can tell when people are lying, but she's been duped by quite a few people in the past (the Mirror, for one).

    2. Snow said "No" mighty quickly when Aurora asked if the nightmares had gone away. I wonder if Snow still has them.

    3. In their dreams, Aurora saw a "he" and Henry saw a "she." I wonder if they saw each other. Will their curse dreams become a means of communication between worlds?

    4. I love that we both love this show, Karrie! I'm always so excited when you post your thoughts about it, and also Grimm!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan: 1) Yes, it is funny how often Emma is wrong, so why does she keep saying that? *wink*
      2) Good question, and I wonder if she sees the same red room.
      3) Ooh, that would be interesting.
      4) I'm so glad you love the show too. I love to hear what others have to say, especially if it's something I missed or didn't think about.

      Delete