Monday, November 19, 2012

Once Upon a Time: Child of the Moon

The full moon after the curse arrives.

This is the episode that I've been waiting for since the curse was broken. Ruby turns into a wolf, and who knows what the consequences will be. It was an okay episode. I liked the story, but I felt that some of the scenes and acting were a little melodramatic.

Observations:

Was Gus (or Gus Gus, to be more exact) turned into a mouse with magic in Fairy Tale Land? Otherwise, how did an animal become a person in Storybrooke. The only other animal we know of that is a person in Storybrooke is Jiminy/Archie. And we know he was turned into a cricket with magic.

Henry was burned by the fire in his nightmare. If Snow's nightmare after she woke from her "sleep" was as bad as Henry's, I wonder how she was injured by it, and how long she had the nightmares.

Red found a very uncomfortable place to sleep for the night - on the rocks by the lake. Ouch.

The wolves' hideout is the grand hall of the castle that sunk underground. I wonder what castle that was, and when it sunk. This was all before the "curse," so it wasn't Regina's castle.

It's cool that Red is taught a way to control her actions when she's a wolf. So, I guess that means we won't have an episode with Ruby at the next full moon in Storybrooke. *wink*

Why does Mr. Gold care about Henry so much that he'll give him a way to control his actions in the nightmare so he won't be afraid or injured anymore? Is it because he reminds him of Baelfire?

So, this episode is all about having control over your own action - whether it's when you're having a nightmare or when you're a wolf during the full moon. I guess this is a good episode for all the Children of the Moon out there. It gives them hope. *wink*

How many nights does Red turn into a wolf when the moon is full? More than one. Three? I don't remember ever hearing that, but it's been a while since I watched the first season.

Spencer only calls David "Shepard." We still haven't learned his real name in Fairy Tale Land, have we? We know he's not "James." That was his twin brother who died. And Snow only calls him "Charming." And his mother never said his real name as far as I can remember. So, what is it? And when will we learn what it is?

The lesson that Anita teaches Red is "be the wolf." She's just giving Red an acting lesson. *wink*

Belle still annoys me. I can't figure out why.

So many good looking men die in this show. What do writers have against them? I know that I have complained about adding more and more characters to the show, but that doesn't mean I want them to introduce a handsome man and then kill him off. So, what handsome men have we lost so far: Graham (the saddest loss of all), Peter, James (the real one), Prince Philip, Billy, Quinn. That's quite a list.

So, Anita could change at will, even in the middle of the day. Once you have control of the wolf, can you change into the wolf at will?

I was kind of looking forward to a scene between Anita and Granny. I wanted them to have that "why did you do it?" conversation. It could have been very interesting.

The scene when the townspeople are walking through the town with their torches and pitchforks to find the wolf reminded me of the scene in Disney's Beauty and the Beast when the towns folk are going to "kill the beast." I'm sure that was the whole point of the scene. But, please, torches and pitchforks? In modern day Maine? Funny.

How does Red/Ruby change back from being the wolf fully clothed? I know this is a family show, but that's a bit unrealistic.

I liked the scene between David and the wolf. I thought it was well done.

I wonder what Red said to Granny when she saw her again after finding out that Granny lied about her mother. There's another scene that would be interesting to see.

When Ruby tells David that she wants to run, she goes off and changes into the wolf. Two things about this. 1) Once you have control over the wolf, I guess Ruby can turn into the wolf at will, even in the day (but can she do it when it's not a full moon?), and 2) she ran pretty fast, because as soon as she was out the door, she howled, and it sounded pretty far way.

I'm sad to say that the reason this episode seemed so melodramatic was Meghan Ory's acting. I really like the actress most of the time, and they may have been hard scenes to play, but they just seemed overly dramatic to me.

So, the ending with Aurora was good. I guess she finally has a purpose in this season - to help them get back to Storybrooke. Now, if only Mulan had a reason to be there...

And finally... My friend, Megan, was right. Henry and Aurora were seeing each other in their nightmares. Good guessing, Megan!

Quotes:

Leroy: Just 'cause it's called Happy Hour, Happy, don't mean you have to be there.

David: What the hell is this?
Ruby: We're making a cage. Do you know anybody who might want 30 frozen lasagnas?
David: I'm sorry, what?
Granny: I know. No one would believe it if you told them my lasagna was frozen.

David: Who do you call to tow a tow truck?

Mr. Gold (to Regina): It's remarkable you cast a curse you know so little about.

Mr. Gold: Once one controls something, one no longer need fear it.

Ruby: I don't need to be protected from other people, David. Other people need to be protected from me.

Anita: Humans want to believe we're the monsters. The moment you believe them, that's when you become one.

Anita: The only way you will control the wolf is by accepting it as a part of you.
Red: You can teach me to do that?
Anita: Indeed I can.

Belle (to Granny): You have wolf hearing?
Granny: It's not all it's cracked up to be, especially when you run a hotel.

Red: I found my mother.
Snow: But, I thought --
Red: Granny lied.

Belle: I'm sort of an expert when it comes to rehabilitation.
(Side note: I don't get that line. Is it because she was locked up for 28 years? Because that just makes her an expert in being a prisoner. Is it because she tried to rehabilitate Rumpel? Because that didn't work.)

Anita: You chose her.
Red: No, I chose me. I'm not a killer.

David: It was Spencer who killed Billy, not you. Don't let him trick you into thinking you're a monster.(Ruby/wolf growls) All right. Poor choice of words.

Ruby: You saved me.
David: No. You saved yourself. I just reminded you of what you already knew.

Ruby: You think you can hide from a wolf?
Spencer: I wasn't trying to hide.
David: You killed a man.
Spencer: He was a mouse.
(Side note: I wonder how Spencer knew Billy was Gus-Gus. Ruby didn't know that Billy was Gus. Would Billy have told Spencer for some reason? Often in this show if one person knows it (well, if the audience knows it), then every character knows it. That is not realistic).

Ruby (to David): I know you'll never give up until you do.
(Side note: If you take this sentence all by it self it sounds like she's saying "you'll never give up until you give up." That is all.)

Ruby: You helped me regain control. I want to do something I haven't done in a very long time.
David: What's that?
Ruby: Run.

No comments:

Post a Comment