Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Castle: The Final Frontier

I don't usually write posts on Castle, even though I watch it every week. However, "The Final Frontier" was such a great episode, that I just had to talk about my favorite parts.This was a wonderfully fun tribute to classic Sci Fi TV series. There is a murder at SuperNovaCon, a Sci Fi convention, which makes Castle giddy. I love watching Rick when he gets excited about geeky things like Sci Fi. And this time, we see a geeky side to Kate too. Classic.

I loved how the episode highlights the fact that there are so many shows that are cheesy, melodramatic, poorly written, and poorly acted, and still people like them. Everyone has their guilty pleasure. People may make fun of those fans for liking the shows, but there are reasons we like some bad shows and movies, and we can't help what we like.

Observations:

The opening of the episode is great with a Nebula-9 fan experience at the Sci Fi convention. It's so cheesy and geeky and so Sci Fi-ish. (I just made up a new word, and I like it.)

I love that the Captain of the ship in the Nebula-9 TV series was named Renard. Max Renard. There's another Captain Renard in another series I love. Hmm what show could that be? *wink*

Rick thinks that the SuperNovaCon is a genius place to commit a murder because you can "don a costume, strike down your intended victim, and melt away into the crowd, unseen."

I love it when Kate and Rick are with the coroner, Perlmutter, and Kate asks, "So, what caused the wound?" There is music that says, "wait for it, this answer is crazy," there is a pause, and the coroner says, "No clue." Such a great example of good writing and good directing.

I loved how they make fun of bad actors who think they're so great. Actors who think they're actually the character they play, and are so dramatic in real life. It's like the life of the character is so much better than their own life, so they live the life that is more exciting.

Great moment when Winters talks about Nebula-9 being canceled unjustly and he looks at Kate, and she blushes. And then it's so great when she realizes that he's just a crazy actor - nothing like the Captain he played on the show. Or, that he's actually crazy because he's acting like he is Captain Renard.

I loved the scenes of Ryan and Esposito interviewing SuperNovaCon attendees. Sci Fi fans are so geeky. Note: Yes, I like some Sci Fi shows. And no, I've never attended a Sci Fi convention.

The episode was directed by Jonathan Frakes! Okay, time for Star Trek, The Next Generation fans to geek out.

I loved watching Kate's embarrassment when the Stephanie Frye (by the way, the last name of the character Kaylee on Firefly is Frye), the actress who played Lt. Chloe, Kate's heroine on Nebula-9, says she is embarrassed she was ever on Nebula-9 because now she's finally being "taken serious" as an actress. It's true that some actors never can move past an iconic role they play. Nathan Fillion is one of the lucky actors. Fans of Firefly (like me) will always love him as Mal Reynolds, but it's great that he's found a new fan base from the different role he plays in Castle
A young, handsome Nathan Fillion as Mal Reynolds

It's funny to watch Winters looking at himself and preening in the two-way mirror. Ah, actors. Gotta love 'em.

Actor who plays Benjamin Donnelly, the man who made the laser blaster is none other than... wait for it... Armin Shimerman! Quark from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and Principal Snyder from Buffy the Vampire Slayer! It's great just to hear his voice. It's so - well, Quark. He is a "purveyor of Sci Fi hardware for the discriminating enthusiast." And his t-shirt says, "Han Shot First." So many geeky surprises!

John Bobek, who plays Davis, reminded me of Alan Tudyk, who played Wash on Firefly. I wonder if that's why he was cast in this episode. And he's not a bad actor, that probably helped too. *wink* Watching this episode made me want to watch Firefly again. Watch for possible future posts on Firefly episodes, with lots of quotes. *wink*

I loved that there was a scene like an Agatha Christie novel where they plan to reveal the murderer. And it's on the replica of the bridge of Nebula-9. Cool.

The last scene is hilarious. And then the final shot - great!

All-in-all, I think this is one of my favorite Castle episodes. It was just fun to watch from start to finish.

Quotes:

Crew member of Nebula-9: If we don't warp in time, all humanity will be lost.
Captain Max Renard: If we don't wait for Lieutenant Chloe, our humanity will be lost.

Older Male Fan (after Castle signs his book): Thanks, I'm your #1 fan.
Rick: Thanks for coming. (fan leaves) How far they fall.

Kate: Cap your pen, Castle. There's been a murder here.
Rick: Here at SuperNovaCon?
Kate: Mm hm.
Rick: Shiny!
Side note: Another great reference to Firefly.

Rick: So, who is our victim? Did Doc Ock finally catch up to Spider Man?

Rick: I'm a fan of good Sci Fi. Star Trek, Battlestar, that Joss Whedon show.

Rick: Okay, this is a cool ship. The show's still lame, but this is a cool ship.

Ryan: (re: Gabriel Walters) I tried to talk to him, but he said he needed a minute to muse upon the fragile nature of human life.
Kate: Well, his minute is up.

Winters: I'm devastated. Ravaged by sorrow. I'm reminded of when 1st Office Tate was sucked into that worm hole in episode 6.
Rick: Except in this case, someone actually died.
Winters: Yea.

Winters: Last time I saw Annabel she was alone on the bridge, and may fortune guide her journey.

Rick: I think if you like Nebula-9, you're crazy enough to kill.

Kate: Perlmutter.
Perlmutter: Detective Beckett.
Rick: Permutter.
Permutter: And non-Detective Castle.

Rick: A real Sci Fi murder at a Sci Fi convention. This keeps getting better.

Rick: Let's go back to the emails of the crazed fans, and when I say "crazed fans," I'm not referring to you. You are a mega-fan.
Kate: That's fine coming from the guy with a life-sized Boba Fett in his bathroom.
Rick: Point taken.

Ryan (to fan dressed in a "wookie-like" costume): Did you see her or not?
Other Fan (dressed in a crustacean-like costume): He only speaks Mercitonian.
Ryan: Maybe you could translate or me.
Fan: I'm not really that fluent.
Ryan: Next.

Ryan: Let me begin by asking if you speak English or not.
Fan: Obvi.

Rick: Zap, said the lady. You are so busted.

Kate: Have tech look at the gun. Find out where it came from.
Esposito: As you wish.

Kate: Goes to show, some people aren't who they appear to be.

Kate: Here's what I think. Annabel got tired of your drunk carousing, and fired you from the only job that you had. So you killed her.
Winters: None of that is true. Except maybe the carousing part.

Winters: I am the face of Nebula-9. I'm the reason all those lunatics line up for days outside the convention.
Rick: Yes, well perhaps now they'll line up in front of Sing Sing.

Rick: Perhaps we should have heeded that very wise sign.

Donnelly: Raise your hands. Prepare to die.

Donnelly: So, what can I interest you in? A Klingon bat'leth, perhaps? Cylon laser pistol? Double-bladed light saber?
Rick: You have a double-bladed light saber?

Donnelly: Thorean blasters don't kill. People do.

Rick: Yes, that is an amazing piece of weaponry. (Kate looks at him) That I never want to fire again.

Kate: You were right, Castle. That costume allowed our killer to strike unseen.

Winters: Overacting much?
Stephanie: Shut up, Gabriel.

Winters: Am I the only person who find this eerily familiar?

Rick: May I? "And may fortune guide your journey."

Rick: Such is the power of fantasy.

1 comment:

  1. I stopped watching Castle a couple of years ago, but will catch an episode here and there on special occasions, like this one! They handled the Sci-Fi fandom so well. It was both cheeky and respectful and I loved it. Someday, I want to go to ComiCon!

    ReplyDelete