Thursday, November 15, 2012

Arrow: Damaged

In the present, Oliver has been arrested as a suspect in the Hood's vigilante killings, but he has a plan. And in a flashback on the island, Oliver gets caught by other island dwellers who aren't as nice as the man in the hood. And we find out where Oliver got those scars. Oh, and there's also a big party. Good times.

Observations:

In the flashback Oliver gets his first archery lesson. He's not good. And he has to fetch his arrows. That will give him the motivation to get better. Especially when he gets caught and tortured by bad men on the island.

I love how Laurel tells the judge that Oliver is willing to submit to home confinement and electronic monitoring with asking Oliver. She wants him to know that if she takes him on as a client that she will be in charge. Go Laurel.

I didn't know that Laurel's first name was Dinah. It's interesting to have a female character who goes by her middle name instead of her first. That happens often in real life, but not done so much in TV or movies.

I'm still waiting for an episode where no one mentions Sarah's death.

I like Detective Lance. He's trying to do what's right, and deal with his daughter's death, his other daughter's betrayal (in his eyes), and with his wife's abandonment. I'd like to see something good happen to him for once.

So, now we know that Oliver wanted to get arrested as part of a plan to throw suspicion off of him. Get that out of the way early in the season and you don't have to worry about it so much in future episodes.

I love it when Dig gets a load of Oliver's "toys." He's like a kid in a candy shop (excuse the overused expression).

That yacht is awfully big for it to be moved unnoticed. I guess Moira had it moved to that warehouse in the dead of the night.

Katie Cassidy's (Laurel) acting at the police station with Detective Lance, the prosecuting attorney, and Oliver was a little strange. I wonder if it was because of her own acting choices or the direction.

I think that Stephen Amell does a good job distinguishing the present Oliver and the island Oliver, however, I do think his acting is better in the scenes on the island. When he's playing Oliver in the present, he has a tendency to stilt his speech, and think too long before he speaks. Again, I don't know if it's an acting choice or the direction, but most people don't stop and think before they speak, they just speak. A director of a play I was in once said, "I don't want to watch you thinking. You're thinking when you're talking." That is so true.

I liked the scene between Oliver and Thea in this episode. She's worried about Oliver, and not being such a brat. I like seeing this Thea. I hope we see more.

Oliver gave himself the best alibi by having hundreds of drunk twenty-somethings at his house for a party. *wink*

I wonder if the number on Oliver's shirt that he wears to the party has any significance.

It's interesting that Oliver had never asked Laurel anything about her mother since he's gotten back. If he didn't know her mother left, then he would have thought she was still around, and would probably ask how she was doing. Strange that the fact she left her and Detective Lance five years ago never came up until now.

Go Dig! And he didn't he have to shoot any arrows. Or, perhaps the Hood's reputation precedes him.

It's interesting that Moira tells Detective Lance to get out of her house like that after he saved Oliver's life. It's similar to the time Oliver saved Laurel's life and Detective Lance told Oliver to stay away from his daughter. There are just no grateful parents - only angry ones. At least Oliver thanked Detective Lance.

Why is Moira so protective of her family now, when she allowed her son and husband to go down with the yacht she had sabotaged? I understand that she may have wanted her husband dead, but Oliver? Is it possible she didn't know that Oliver and Sarah would be on the yacht?

I don't know how smart it was of Moira to threaten the well-dressed man (the wonderful John Barrowman!). He could just have her killed. Then the threat is useless. Unless Moira has more power than the well-dressed man. Hmm.

Dig does a good job telling Oliver how he feels, so hopefully there will be fewer voice-overs. And Oliver can tell Dig everything he was telling us in voice-overs. That would be good.

What happened to Tommy in this episode? He was there for one scene. I like Tommy. I want to see more of him.

Quotes:

Oliver (in another annoying voice-over): The police think they know who I am. They think I'm the vigilante, the man in the hood, terrorizing the city's criminals. They also think they have me trapped, that I have no way out. They're only half right.
Side note: I think they're 90% right. *wink*

Oliver: This is a mistake.
Detective Lance: I'll be asking you a few questions, status and stuff for the report. Have you been arrested before? It's okay, I know the answer to that one - plenty of times.

Laurel: There's no way that you're this vigilante.
Oliver: I agree.
Laurel: Because he's actually trying to make a difference. We both know that's really not your style.

Oliver: I want you to know that I'm not worried about any of this.
Moira: Well, that makes one of us.

Detective Lance: He only asked you to be his lawyer to get at me.
Laurel: No, he asked me to to be is lawyer to get through to you.

Diggle: How am I supposed to track him?
Oliver: Well, you know us billionaire vigilantes, we do love our toys.

Oliver: I'm not crazy.
Detective Lance: Finally, something we agree on. He's not a nut, he's a killing machine.

Oliver (to Thea): I'm sorta happy I didn't buy you the shot glass with the panda on it, 'cause then you'd be worried I was Panda Man.

Diggle: You may have gotten used to lying to everyone else in your life, but I'm the one guy you don't lie to.

Laurel: Do you think you can tear yourself away from this inappropriately themed rave for a couple of minutes?

Moira (to the well-dressed man): I've been the good soldier. I've done everything you asked. But if any member of family so much as gets a paper cut, I will burn your entire world to ashes.

Oliver: Leo Mueller. You have failed this city.
Side note: Please let that be the last time we hear that phrase. *wink*

No comments:

Post a Comment