Sunday, March 10, 2013

Arrow: Dead to Rights

Another strong episode! Thanks, Arrow, for proving me wrong when I said the series was going downhill with "Muse of Fire" and "Vendetta." I realize now that the reason I didn't like those episodes were pretty much because of Jessica De Gouw as Helena/The Huntress. Unfortunately, it looks like she returns in the next episode. If that episode is bad, we'll know why. However, I'm thinking that it will be good as long as we still see the characters we've grown to like so much (i.e., Dig and Felicity). And, I hope we get more information about the shocking revelation we learned from Laurel's mother, Dinah (played by Doctor Who's Alex Kingston), when she showed up unexpectedly at the end of the episode.

Anyway, on to this episode. We know that Moira has hired the Triad to kill Malcolm Merlyn. Oliver just happens to learn about the hit on Merlyn when he crosses another name off of The List - the assassin hired to kill Malcolm. It takes a little bit of hacking of the assassins cell phone to find out who he was hired to kill, but when Oliver finds out who it is, he rushes off to try to save Merlyn. The episode was tight, well-paced, had plenty of action and some great comic moments.

Observations:

Isn't that nice - Diggle is teaching Felicity how to defend herself. Is she slowly being trained to eventually be a superhero herself ? Hmm.

It's funny to see Oliver struggle to do a chin-up on the island, knowing that in five years he will be able to do multiple chin-ups as well as Slade, and much, much more.

I love that current shows today are still making references to Gilligan's Island. It's such an iconic, classic TV series.

It's Tommy's birthday and the only people at his party at Laurel's house are Laurel, Oliver, and Oliver's date, McKenna. Tommy really needs to go out and get more friends. But then his Dad shows up with a gift in a Tiffany's box (I wonder what's in there), and it gets a bit awkward.

Can't Oliver even make his own reservation at a restaurant? Who does he think Diggle and Felicity are, his personal assistants?

I wonder who raised Tommy from ages eight to ten? What a truly horrible thing for an eight year old - to lose both his mother and his father at the same time.

Laurel gets a call from her Mom, and she ignores it. I wonder why. What's gone on with them, other than she left after Sarah died?

China White in a dark wig. Should we call her China Black?

I wonder why Oliver's on a date with McKenna when he knows that the hit is supposed to happen that night. He isn't trying to find out who the victim is himself. He's just waiting for a call from his "personal assistants," Diggle and Felicity. Why set up a date when he know he'll just have to bail on her eventually. And I'm surprised that McKenna is pretty understanding when Oliver does tells her he has to cut the date short.

Why do the members of the Triad who are posing as waiters start killing other people when Malcolm is pretty wide open? Why are they relying on Deadshot to kill him?

I'm glad that Malcolm thinks first about his son when he sees that there is danger. So, we know that Malcolm truly loves his son and cares about his safety.

Everyone is leaving the building pretty calmly. What do they think is happening?

And the wig comes off (as opposed to the gloves). *wink*

Tommy is seeing a side of his father he never knew about. We really haven't seen it either.

Deadshot hit his target. Poor Tommy. Could it really be that easy? Nope, it wasn't.

I wonder how many times Oliver will get to show Slade how much he remembers from that one book he read in college (The Odyssey)?

Oliver actually called Diggle "John."

During the two years Malcolm was gone he met a man who helped him make sense of things, to find a purpose for his life and make Starling City a better place. So, why isn't Starling City a better place? Who was that man, and was he a good man or a bad man?

Oh no! Did Oliver just make an enemy of Tommy? I don't want them to be enemies. I like Tommy.

Laurel's mother is back, and she has a lot of explaining to do.

Everyone in this show has parents who have made mistakes.

Sarah may be alive! Shocker!

Quotes:

Guillermo Barrera: You have quite a reputation.
The Hood: And you should have stayed overseas.
Barrera: I thought about it, but then I remembered, I've got a reputation too.

Diggle: The trick is to keep your weight evenly distributed .
Felicity: The trick is to avoid getting into fights.
Diggle: You know, Starling City isn't the kind of place where you can talk your way out of trouble. Besides, if you're going to be working with us, I'll sleep a lot easier knowing you can handle yourself. At least a little bit.

Diggle: It may not be a good idea to fall for the cop who's hunting you down.
Oliver: Well, it's slim pickings for us vigilantes.

[Oliver is trying to do a chin-up]
Slade: Four.
Oliver: Well, I'm more of a runner.

Oliver: We can't just sit here and wait for Fyers to come and kill us.
Slade: I do have one idea. If you go into the forest and gather as much bamboo as you can find...
Oliver: Yea.
Slade: ...we could build ourselves a boat like they one on Gilligan's Island.

Slade: You should be training, for the inevitable fight that's looming.
Oliver: I think I have a better chance of making the radio to work.

McKenna: How are you, Counselor?
Laurel: I'm well, Detective.

Deadshot: Hey, we all gotta die sometime.
China White: I need someone to die at the right time, and no one does it better than you.
[I know that "it" is supposed to mean he can make people die at the right time, but the "it" in this sentence sounds like he's best at dying at the right time.]

Malcolm: We won't fail this city.

Felicity: Code breaker is my middle name. Actually, it's Megan --

Oliver: It seemed like he was trying to act a little bit "Dad-like."
Tommy: Dad-like? That sums up my father perfectly.

Oliver: Check please.

Laurel: You look handsome.
Tommy: I try not to. It just keeps happening.

Moira: I've been living this lie for five years. Five more minutes won't matter.

Malcolm: I haven't done enough for this city. I have failed it.

Tommy (to the Hood): Why should I trust you!
Oliver: Because you always have.

No comments:

Post a Comment