Saturday, March 30, 2013

Smash: Musical Chairs

In the game of musical chairs, when the music stops, someone loses a seat and isn't in the game anymore. Well, the game of musical chairs started in "The Fringe," and it continues in this episode. The outcome, however, was pretty predictable. Luckily, there is some good music while our characters play the game of musical chairs.

Observations:

When the little kids come into the theater, I'm sure the director of the TV show's direction for the child actors was "I want you to bounce in the seats," because, of course, that's what all kids do. Not.

Karen has become so entitled. I can't believe that she argues with Tom, right in front of the cast. I just wonder sometimes if these writers have ever been in a stage production. It shows such a sign of disrespect for the director to question all of his direction. However, it must be difficult for an actor to change directors midstream and then get conflicting direction from the new director. And yes, you definitely don't want your director to give you a line reading.

Note to writers: More Bobby (I originally wrote "Danny." I see him so little I forgot his name) and Jessica. Please.

I think it's hilarious that Terry thinks he should play Valmont as if he has smallpox. How random is that?

Jerry is complaining that Tom is making his "star," Karen, feel uncomfortable. So, he thinks that Derek never made any of his actors feel "uncomfortable"?

Kyle and Jimmy have such extreme personalities. Kyle is always understanding and agreeable. Jimmy is always ticked off and argumentative. How can these two be such good friends? I guess they balance each other out.

Again, I hate the fact that Jimmy thinks the reason the rehearsal for Hit List didn't show well to Scott was that Karen wasn't in it. Hello! There are other people out there who have just as much talent as she does. I hate that this show makes her everyone's savior. "It will be a hit if Karen's in it, simply due to her presence." Arrgghh!

It's funny that it's okay for Karen to contradict Tom and not want to play the part as he directs, but with Derek, he firmly says that's he's the director. That's what he does. He directs. I guess Tom really needs to just tell Karen, that this is the way he wants it, and that's it.

I think it's funny that Derek tells Karen she should quit Bombshell and defect over with him to Hit List, and his reasoning is that Gwen Verdon would have left a show if Bob Fosse quit as director. Karen jokes that Derek is thinking of himself as Fosse, but it's funnier that he's comparing Karen to Gwen Verdon. Gwen was married to Bob Fosse, so that would be a determining factor if she stayed with a show he quit, and Gwen really did have lots of talent (singing: A little brains, a little talent; with an emphasis on the latter. Name that musical)

Why does Jimmy have to be so unlikable? He's so rude to everyone. This show is full of unlikable characters, and the ones I do like are minor characters, like Danny and Jessica. Except maybe Tom. Please, don't make me not like Tom!

And, of course, Karen gives Jimmy the answer he's looking for about how to change Hit List to make it relevant to all audiences. What a shocker!

Julia and Scott know each other. Hmm.

How did Julia know exactly where Derek would be to give him the contract to sign?

I wonder who Derek's "spies" are who are telling him what's going on with Bombshell.

Oh dang. Tom is "groveling" to Karen. Why is it his fault?

The music starts for the musical chairs again, and Karen does the unselfish thing and gives the part of Marilyn back to Ivy. Shocker! She's so perfect.

Did Jimmy just smile? Wow!

Eileen says that Jerry paid Ellis for information on Nick so he could turn him in and "get the show back." Jerry never had the show in the first place. Eileen was always the producer of Bombshell. How could he get something "back" that he never had in the first place?

Eileen didn't throw a drink in Jerry's face. That was one thing that was unpredictable.

It looks like Jerry is the one who didn't have a chair when the music stopped.

Now Julia says that the connection between Marilyn and her mother is the heart and soul of the piece. Just a few episodes ago she was saying the whole thing was about how the men in her life shaped Marilyn. We've gone from lots of men shaping who she was to one woman shaping who she was. Hmm. Those two stories are very different.

So, back a few episodes, when Jimmy was telling Derek the plot to Hit List, he gave the back story of the main character and said that all of that exposition would be in the opening number. Now, there's a new opening number (which, by the way, I love), so how is the audience going to learn all of that important information about the leading man? Will it be in the second number? *wink*

I am really sad that we didn't get to see Tom tell Ivy that she was going to be Marilyn again.

Derek is really a jerk. For some reason he thinks that he owns his leading ladies. Just because he is the director, it doesn't mean he can direct the lives of his cast too. And Karen is so quick to do whatever Derek tells her to do. She's not his muse. She's his puppet.

Quotes:

Blake: We sort of get our own coffee around here.

Danny: Did he just give her a line reading.

Tom: Ooo, maybe that's how I should connect with Karen - talk with a British accent.
Julia: I've seen it. Don't do that.

Terry: What about if, in that scene, Valmont has smallpox?

It's incredible, it's like you're the Terry-whisperer.

Derek: I might have left Broadway, but I didn't do it for 80 seats.

Eileen (to Katie): Listen, I've made a lot of mistakes in my life. Somehow I've managed not to screw you up. I'm not going to start now.

Derek: Gwen Verdon would have bailed if Fosse quit.
Karen: Oh, so now you're Fosse, huh?

Karen: The boys will figure it out.
Derek: Yea, well, "the boys" need to grow up.

Kyle: If you're not going to help me, you can at least stop mocking me.

Jimmy: What are you doing here?
Karen: I was just... gonna lie and say I was in the neighborhood.
Jimmy: Yea, I always tell people I'm going to lie before I do it. It really catches them off-guard.

Jimmy: As nice as it is to see you, this isn't your problem. Maybe it would be if you were still in the show, but...

Julia (to Derek): Stop playing games, okay? If you want to come back, just say that. But if you don't, sign the papers... and let go.

Terry (to Ivy): Did you know our show was "meh"? Yea, I've been called a lot of things in my career, but "meh"? Is there anything worse.

Terry: You said we made it better.
Ivy: Yea, we did make it better. From terrible.

Ivy: I wish I could get out of this show. I really hate it.
Terry: Oh! I hate you in it. I'm sorry, I do. You're too good. It's annoying.

Jimmy (re: Karen): Look at her. She fits right in.
Derek: Of course she does. She's a star.

Katie (re: Jerry): You really loved him, didn't you.
Eileen: Of course I did.
Katie: He loved you too.
Eileen: He still does. That's why he's doing what he's doing.

Julia: How did we get here? Three grown women digging through an office looking for a silver bullet.
Eileen: Desperate times.

Derek: Jerry! Last person in the world I wanted to see tonight.

Actress: What do you mean it's not your fault?
Terry (as Valmont): Let me explain it to you. In song.

Tom (to Ivy re: her performance): It's very Irene Dunne in The Awful Truth.
Ivy: You mean when she does the recital? That's totally what I was going for.

Karen (to Tom): I'm not your Marilyn, she is.

Derek: For some inexplicable reason I still believe in you two. Enough to stick around anyway. Even if it does means directing your completely unaltered show in a space not much larger than my bathroom.

Derek: You know how it is. You work on something you care about, sometimes it's a bit difficult to let go.

Tom (to Julia): If you can't live without it, then neither can I. End of conversation.

Jimmy: So, are you okay with where you landed? No buyer's remorse?
Karen. None. Whatsoever. Isn't that strange?

No comments:

Post a Comment