Friday, March 15, 2013

Grimm: The Face Off

Oh, Grimm, Grimm, how I've been looking forward to your return. And thank you for not disappointing! The episode wasn't based on any fairy tale. The quote at the beginning, "The will to conquer is the first condition of victory," is a quote by Ferdinand Foch, a French commander in World War I. But we Grimm fans got what we wanted - the face-off between Nick and Renard.

Grimm has gone in such a different direction than I ever thought it would when I first learned about the show, and although I like the episodes that are based on fairy-tales, and that feature new Wesen (there was only one new Wesen in this episode, and he was on for a very short time), I loved this episode. It satisfied my need to see things moving in the "Juliette under a spell" story.

Observations:

Nick is about to confront Renard, and he gets a phone call about a quadruple homicide. That's right, he's called in to investigate his own dirty work of getting rid of the Verrat who beat up Hank.

Renard calls an owl-like Wesen who, quite handily, is a locksmith, to open up Aunt Marie's trailer for him. I kind of wish Renard showed a bit of wonder and interest in seeing the inside of the trailer of a Grimm. But he's focused on his task, to find the key.

Oh! Nick finally comes face-to-face with "the other man." What is he going to do? Wait for the commercial break. *wink*

Nick's not doing anything yet.

Juliet calls Renard while Renard is talking to Nick. Awkward.

So, aren't Nick and Monroe's fingerprints all over the bodies? They went through their pockets to get their IDs. I wonder if that will come up, or if that will just be ignored.

Nick is in Renard's office, and he doesn't confront him, again. When will it happen?

Rosalie is coming back to Portland. Yay! She will be able to figure this all out. I'm sure it will involve some sort of weird potion. After all, that's her specialty.

I will say it again, as I have many times before - poor Nick. Now he has to see Juliette kissing Renard. He's going to confront them both.

Nope. Monroe calls and he doesn't do "something crazy." But Juliette and Renard start doing something crazy. I'm not talking about just kissing each other. They actually get violent with each other, in between kissing, and Juliette shoots off Renard's gun. This spell is spinning, as Monroe says, "like, totally out of control."

The police get to Juliette's house pretty quickly. Her neighbors must have been quick to call 911.

For such a cocky witch, Adalind certainly is scared. Maybe she'll learn that if you threaten people, they might not like you very much, and yes, that can put you in a bit of danger.

Renard isn't telling Adalind where the trailer is until she fixes what's wrong with him. He has the upper hand now.

Only a Hexenbiest (or former Hexenbiest) would want to make out with Renard with him looking like that.

Monroe is so cute as he waits for Rosalie to get off the bus. He's like a giddy teenager who has a crush on a girl. He's so nervous, and then Rosalie just kisses him. It's sweet.

Renard has quite the art work in his apartment. I wonder if any of his colleagues have been in there, and wondered how he could afford those on a Captain's salary. *wink*

Adalind looks like she's plotting something more than just getting the key for Eric. Hmm.

Nick just found out that Renard is the royal in Portland. And that's it? There's no real surprise on Nick's part. That's a pretty big revelation and they just skate right past it.

Oh oh. Renard just figured out where Nick is hiding the key.

There are a lot of flashbacks in this episode. Nick fighting the Verrat, the dead guy in the park, Nick opening his drawer at work, the cat running away and getting hit. I'm surprised we didn't get a flashback of Nick's mother killing Adalind's mother.

And... Renard has the key. Did I say, "oh oh"?

That potion looks horrible. I wouldn't want to drink something that looked like liquid rice pudding and then turns blood red in the blender and then back to a rice pudding mess. Yes, I'll say it again, poor Nick. I hope that soon I won't have to constantly feel that way about the poor Grimm.

Nick is going to drink it! Nope. He gets a phone call. Boy, those calls come at just the right moment to keep him from acting, don't they?

Nick knows that Renard has the key. Now will we get the face-off?

Hank's trying his best to keep Renard there, but to no avail.

Boy, Juliette has a temper.

He lied to Adalind about finding the key. What is his agenda? And Adalind accepts his answer pretty easily. She doesn't tell him to try again. She just leaves. Hmm.

Renard calls Nick to meet him. Here it comes. Only five minutes left. It has to happen now.

Another flashback. Renard asked Nick to meet him at the cottage of "the big bad wolf" from the pilot episode. I love how we're coming full circle. Also, that cottage is so "Grimm fairy tale" looking. I love it.

And the fight begins. Nick discovers Renard's "Wesennes," and Renard just wants to talk. Nick is having nothing of it.

Renard gives Nick the key. I so want Renard to be good, for them to work together.

There's a knock on Juliette's door and, surprise! It's the old boyfriend she can't remember, and the new guy she wants to kill. Awkward. I love how Juliette looks at both of them and says, "Now what?"

Rosalie has to whip up a fresh batch of the blood-red/rice pudding potion. And this time Nick drinks it. He seems confident enough. But Renard knows what's going to happen. Too bad he didn't give him a heads-up in advance. But then, who knows if Nick would drink it. I guess we know he would. He'd do anything to get Juliette back, I'm sure.

I'd like to know what they told Juliette about what they're going to do in the spice shop.

Adalind is pregnant?! Dun dun dun! How much time has passed when we see Adalind get the pregnancy test results? Is the baby Renard's or Eric's? Whose baby does she want to have? So, this has been her plan all along?

Quotes:

Monroe: So, you know him?
Nick: Yea, I know him. I'm under his command.
Monroe: Your girlfriend and your boss? That's about as gnarly as it gets. (Nick starts to leave) Hey, wait a minute, where do you think you're going? You're not going where I think you're going, because if it were me, I would be going there, but you can't. Nick, hold on! This is one of those "pause, take a deep breaths" situations where you can't be going off half, full, or any other degree of cocked.

[Nick gets a takes a call on his cell]
Monroe: What is it?
Nick: Quadruple homicide.
Monroe: See. Your life's not so bad.
Nick: In the parking lot near the Deluxe Hotel.
Monroe: Oh, that quadruple homicide.
Nick: Yea.
Monroe: Well, at least you know who did it.

Renard (regarding the crime scene): It's a hell of a mess.
Nick: Yea, it sure is.

Sergeant Wu: If these guys are all members of the same lodge, it's not one I want to belong to.

Rosalie: Monroe, wait a minute, I think I know what this means.
Monroe: Yea, it means Nick's not in a very good place right now. In fact, he's moved in with me. Not that that's not a good place. I mean I got his room for him and...

Monroe: I just think we should get down to the shop and see if we can't stop this before it really, it spins, like, totally out of control.

Monroe: I say we find Adalind's mother and we do whatever it takes to --
Nick: It's not going to work?
Monroe: Why not? It makes perfect sense.
Nick: She's dead.
Monroe: Dead? What? Who killed her?
Nick: My mother.
Monroe: Why? (Side note: Silas Mitchell Weir's delivery of this line was absolutely perfect.)
Nick: She was trying to find out where Adalind was and --
Monroe: It didn't go so well.
Nick: Right.
Monroe: My head hurts.

Sergeant Wu (talking to Nick on the cell): I'm just really happy to know you had nothing to do with what I'm seeing.

Adalind: What are you doing?
Female Cop: You've been released.
Adalind: What? Why?
Cop: Most people are happy to get out.
Adalind: What if I don't want to leave?
Cop: This is not a hotel.

Adalind: I could scream.
Renard: Or you could die. That's the kind of mood I'm in.

Monroe: Look, it's late. I'm tired, you're tired. Why don't I make us a little warm milk...
Nick: Really?
Monroe: Yea. You know, just like your mom... [Nick gives Monroe a "look"] ...never made. I'm sorry. Bad idea. I'm shuttin' up. I'm goin' to bed. Good night.

Adalind: You're just going to have to trust me.
Renard: It hasn't worked so well in the past.

Monroe: The flowers are too much, aren't they? Maybe you should give them to her. Okay, okay. No, you're right. You're right. It's just, I shouldn't have gotten roses. That's like, you know, presumptuous.

Nick: Does anything not end in death?
Rosalie: Not really.
Monroe: Not that I know of.

Hank: If I could explain the motives of women, I'd still be married.

Renard: Be sure to watch your back.
Hank: I'll be looking in all directions, Captain.

Monroe: How bad is this going to be?
Rosalie: I don't know. (to Nick) You're just gonna have to drink it, and it's gonna do what it's gonna do.
Nick: Is it going to help Juliette remember me?
Rosalie: I don't know. but it's the first step of what you're going to have to go through to break the spell between Juliette and the Captain.
Nick: How many steps are there?
Rosalie: Two.
Nick: And what's the second one?
Rosalie: It involves all three of you.
Monroe (laughs): I can't wait to write the invitations to that party.

Nick: If he is who I think he is, he's been playing me for a long time.

Renard: You can kill me, and this won't end. Or I can kill you, but this still won't end.

[Nick drinks the potion and waits a few seconds]
Nick: That's it?
Renard: No.
[And it isn't]
Renard: That's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment