Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, season 2, ep. 19 Quippy Quotes

"I Only Have Eyes For You" wasn't one of my favorite episodes the first time I saw it, but since then, it has grown on me. I especially like how the ghosts' relationship parallels Buffy and Angel's relationship. The scene with Buffy and Angel at the end was well written, and both Sarah Michelle Gellar and David Boreanaz did a great job in the scene.

It was interesting to learn that it was David's (Angel) performance in this episode that convinced Joss Whedon that David could carry a show on his own. And Angel, the Buffy spin-off was born.

Ben: Hey. I'm Ben. We had Algebra II together last year.
Buffy: I'm sorry, I pretty much repress anything math-related.

Buffy: Oh, I remember now! It's the one with the desks and chalkboards and the pencils, right?

Buffy: I'm not seeing anybody. Ever again, actually.

Willow: You've kind of been "all work and no play Buffy."
Buffy: I play. I have big fun. I came here tonight, didn't I?
Willow: You came, you saw, you... rejected.

Buffy: My next impulsive decision will be my choice of dentures.

Principal Snyder: People can be coerced, Summers. I'm no stranger to conspiracy. I saw JFK.

Principal Snyder: I'm gonna look at the pieces carefully and rationally and I'm gonna keep looking until I know exactly how this is all your fault.

Willow (teaching the computer class): I bet you'll think coding is pretty cool. I mean, if you find two-digit multi-stacked conversions and primary number clusters a big hoot.

Willow: Giles! I made them laugh. Did you hear? I did the joke thing.
Giles: Yes, yes. So it seems. I mean, um... you did indeed. Good, good show.

Buffy: I tell you, something weird is going on.
Xander: "Something weird is going on." Isn't that our school motto?

Xander: I don't wanna pooh pooh your wiggins.

Willow: Xander, what happened? Did Cordelia win another round in the broom closet?
Xander: You're just a big bucket of funny, Will. I'll have you know, I was just accosted by some kind of, um... locker monster.
Giles: Loch Ness Monster?
Buffy: Locker monster is what he said.

Giles: Ooh! Sounds like paranormal phenomena.
Willow: A ghost? Cool.
Xander: Oh, no, no, no. No cool. This was "I'm dead as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore."
Giles: Despite the Xander-speak, that's a really accurate definition of a poltergeist.
Xander: I defined something? Accurately? Guess I'm done with the book learnin'.

Buffy: So, we have some bad "boo" on our hands?
Willow: Does it just wanna scare people?
Giles: Unfortunately, he doesn't know exactly what he wants. That's the trouble. See, many times a spirit is plagued by all manner of worldly troubles. It being dead, it has no way to... to make its peace. So it lashes out, growing ever more confused, ever more angry.
Buffy: So, it's a normal teenager. Only dead.

Buffy: Fabulous! Now we're Dr. Laura for the deceased.

Spike: It's paradise. Big windows, lovely gardens. It'll be perfect when we want the sunlight to kill us.

Xander: Fill me in then, 'cause I've read the book, seen the movie, and I'm still fuzzy about what's going on.

Giles: I appreciate your thoughts on the matter. In fact, I... well, I encourage you to always, uh, challenge me when you feel it's appropriate. You should never be cowed by authority. (pause) Except, of course, in this instance when I am clearly right and you are clearly wrong.

Willow: I don't remember ever seeing Giles be this way.
Xander: I know. He's usually "Investigate from every angle" guy. Now he's "I cling on to my one lame idea" guy. What gives?

Buffy: We need alternate ghost theories. What do we know?
Xander: Dog spit is cleaner than human.
Buffy: Besides that.

Buffy: He's a murderer and he should pay for it.
Willow: With his life?
Buffy: No, he should be doing 60 years in a prison, breaking rocks, and making friends with Roscoe the weightlifter.
Xander: Yikes! The quality of mercy is not Buffy.

Cordelia: Perfect. I'm gonna be scarred and swollen. Why didn't they just kill me.

Willow: I've done some homework, and found out the only solution is the final solution.
Xander: Nuke the school? I like that.
Willow: Note quite. Exorcism.
Cordelia: Are you crazy? I saw that movie. Even the priest died.

Xander: Check it. I'd say school's out for good.

Cordelia: Hey, if Sunnydale High School shuts down forever, do we automatically graduate?

Giles: To forgive is an act of compassion, Buffy. It's not done because people deserve it. It's done because they need it.
Buffy: No. James destroyed the one person he loved the most in a moment of blind passion, and that's not something you forgive. No matter why he did what he did, and no matter if he knows now that it was wrong and selfish and stupid. It is just something he's gonna have to live with.
Xander: He can't live with it, Buff. He's dead.
(Buffy leaves)
Cordelia: Okay. Over-identify much?

Xander: So, what now? Not even a mega-vat of Raid's gonna do the trick here.

Cordelia: I don't get it. Is she trying to be a big, loner hero or something?

Cordelia: School can open again tomorrow.
Xander: Explain to me again how that's a good thing.
Cordelia: I'm drawing a blank.

No comments:

Post a Comment