Saturday, March 9, 2013

Smash: The Song

Ratings for the new season of Smash have not been good. I'm not exactly surprised. I think many people who were excited about the show to begin with became disenchanted with the direction of the show in season one, and decided not to give the second season a chance. I understand that, but I'm disappointed that the future of the series is precarious. I don't want the show to be canceled. So far the second season has been okay. It's not great, but there have been some nice moments and I think it shows promise. Maybe I'm just too optimistic because I love the premise.

The producers really were gambling on Jennifer Hudson's presence in the show to bring viewers. I don't think she's a big enough name to do that, and for someone who has won an Oscar, her acting really isn't as strong as other actors on the show. I'm not sure if the producers just really like American Idol, or they think that if you can sing you can act. I think originally, they were hoping that Katharine McPhee could be the next Jennifer Hudson, but she's not. Actually, Jennifer Hudson is no longer the next Jennifer Hudson.

Observations:

At the end of Veronica's number at the rehearsal, all of her back-up singers/dancers clap wildly, and Veronica points out in the audience as she says, "thank you." It always makes me laugh when performers, or even politicians point out to someone in the audience like they're doing you a favor to acknowledge you.

I loved Tom's "hiss" at Derek.

Veronica Moore is a cross between Gypsy Rose Lee and one of the Kardashian sisters with her "momager." At her age, she really should be old enough to manage her own career and not let her mom have so much say in what she does.

Julia has cat-eye glasses like my mother had in the sixties.

Ivy was a swing when Roni was Audrey in Little Shop of Horrors? Ivy should have been Audrey in Little Shop of Horrors.

Everything happens so quickly in the very fictional world of Smash. Roni already has a concert put together that goes up the next day in a major Broadway theatre, with full orchestra, back-up singers and dancers, Derek as director, and Tom as musical director. The song list for the concert isn't finalized, and... the concert is being filmed by Bravo. Like that would ever happen in that short time. So, despite what Derek told Jimmy and Kyle, their musical will probably be in workshop (probably with Derek as the director) in only a few months (or a couple of episodes).

It sounds like Karen and Jimmy are actually singing the few bars of their songs live. I want more live singing!

I can't believe that Julia responded to the acting student who said that it felt like something was missing in the script they read (Julia's script for Bombshell) by saying, "like songs?" If the book of a musical isn't strong enough on its own (okay, unless is sung-though), then it's not a good script. The best musicals have strong books (Gypsy, My Fair Lady, Man of La Mancha, etc.).

It's so funny that Karen comes in and changes one note in one phrase of the song Jimmy is trying to write and suddenly he can finish the song. She's going to have a big head thinking that she's can be every man's muse.

It's sad that Cynthia quantifies the love her mother had for her by her lack of success in show business.

What does Roni want? I know there's more to life than being a Broadway star, but come on! You're a Broadway star! If you're not happy there, I can't see that success anywhere else is going to make you any happier.

Roni is singing "If I Loved You" and "I Could Have Danced All Night"? Those would be interesting songs to hear her sing. Her voice really isn't very "Rodgers and Hammersteinish" or "Lerner and Loeweish."

I loved hearing "Everybody Loves You Now" by Billy Joel. It's not one of Joel's well-known songs. And, Kyle has a good voice. I like the original, but I liked Kyle's voice and it would have been nice if it had been available on iTunes.

This is the second musical montage in this episode. It looks like this is the new way to get more covers in the show.

Karen says, "You can lie down in my dressing room." She knows the proper word to use. Not "lay," but "lie." Or the writers like proper grammar. *wink*

Julia is now trivializing Marilyn Monroe saying that she had no voice, that the men in her life spoke for her. Perhaps Marilyn felt like no one really knew her, and that the people around her tried to define who she was for her. If that's true, then how would she feel about having a musical based on her life that emphasized the fact that others defined who she was, instead of saying that what others saw wasn't really who she was.

Earlier Roni tells Ivy that she has no life at all. And then later she says, "If I'm going to give up my life for this, I'm going to love it." It's really her choice whether she has "a life" or not.

"I Got Love" had a totally different vibe to it in the concert than it did in rehearsal the day before.

I liked the song, "I Can't Let Go," Jimmy wrote for Roni. And the guy in the audience sitting in front of Cynthia really liked the song too. *wink*

Wasn't that nice of Roni to bring Jimmy and Kyle out on the stage with them to take a bow.

Bombshell is going to Broadway! But, poor Eileen.

So, it was Ellis! Of course it was.

Quotes:

Linda (stage manager): Isn't she a little old to have a "momager"?
Tom: Stop it.

Roni: It's my signature number.
Derek: You've been doing it for ten years. We're trying to change your image, remember? You know, the "bold, adult" Roni Moore.
Cynthia Moore: As opposed what? The Roni Moore that won two Tony awards and sold out this concert in six hours.
Derek: With my name above the title.
Cynthia: Your name is why it took six hours instead of one.

Derek: Just find me someone else. Someone who isn't afraid of the big bad Wells.

Jimmy: I love help that isn't really help.

Derek: These delightful young people could be you in twenty years.
Tom: Fifteen.

Roni (to Ivy): Why did you date Derek again? Was it the accent, or the hair?

Linda: Okay, that's a ten, people. Again.

Derek: No one deserves anything in this business. You wait your turn and you earn it.

Cynthia: If my mother loved me half as much as I love you, maybe my singing wouldn't have stopped at church.

Derek: What is the matter with you?
Tom: Nothing. I'm fine.
Derek: Well, you're obviously not, because you're being passive-aggressive. I prefer you aggressive-aggressive, as usual.

Tom: I've never seen you cave before, and it turns out when you cave, I like you even less.
Derek: I didn't cave. I came around.

Tom: Jimmy - he's the real thing. Tell anyone I said that and I'll kill you.

Eileen: Unlike you, Jerry, I care what happens to people I love.

Eileen: I know he's the world's worst human being, but he's a very good producer.

No comments:

Post a Comment