Sunday, May 6, 2012

The Avengers


My company treated all of us to a viewing of The Avengers on opening day. I love my job!

You would think if you have a movie that brings together such superheroes as Iron Man (Robert Downey, Jr.), Captain America (Chris Evans), Thor (Chris Hemsworth), The Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), and Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) and Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) that you couldn't lose? Right? Well, with Joss Whedon at the helm as screenwriter and director, I would give a very enthusiastic "Yes"! I enjoyed the film from beginning to end.

The plot is very simple, as are most films based on comic book superheroes. Earth is in danger. The reason isn't as important as the fact that Fury (Samuel Jackson) gathers the heroes together to save Earth.

I have seen the first Iron Man film and Thor. I watched the original Incredible Hulk series with Bill Bixby, and I and saw Captain America the night before seeing The Avengers. I enjoyed all three of those movies (and the series), and I'm glad I had some background for this film.

The best part of the film for me was the dynamics and clever banter among the superheroes. Joss Whedon (creator of my much-beloved Firefly series) is such a great screenwriter, and the script here was stellar.

Chris Evans portrays the idealistic, innocent Steve Rogers so well. From his 1940s haircut to his boyish good looks, Chris looks every bit a soldier from WWII. I liked how he became the unofficial leader of the pack.

I've been a big fan of Chris Hemsworth since I saw Thor, and I loved seeing him back as the hammer-yielding God.

Robert Downey, Jr. has always been a favorite actor of mine, and his Iron Man character is great. As much as Tony Stark pretends to be self-centered, he definitely is a team player and is willing to risk a lot to save the world, and his friends. Robert Downey's portrayal of Tony is spot-on and great to watch.

I have not seen either Hulk movies, so I don't know how Eric Bana or Edward Norton were as Bruce Banner, but I loved Mark Ruffalo as Bruce/Hulk. I just don't understand the Hulk's 'personality.' The first time he changes, Bruce has no control over the monster side of him, and attacks Natasha. It seems no one can reason with the monster. However, in the big battle at the end of the movie, the superheroes tell him who attack, and he does it. Does Bruce have any control of his actions when he's the Hulk?

The villain is Thor's brother, Loki, played by the wonderful Tom Hiddleston. There are few comic book movies where the villains are charismatic, but Tom almost steals the movie, and that's a lot to say when the heroes are also great and cast so well. As Loki, Tom reminded me a bit of Iago in a stage production of Othello I saw a few years ago. He was so likable in a diabolical kind of way.

Jeremy Renner is new to me as an actor. I've heard of him, but I've never seen any of his movies. I have to say that from his performance of Hawkeye, I really want to see more of him.

I'm glad there was at least one woman among all of the men. I liked Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow. I'm not familiar with the history of Black Widow, but I enjoyed the character. For some reason I thought she was a villain in Iron Man 2, which obviously I haven't seen, so I was surprised to see her as one of the heroes.

Quippy Quotes:

Steve Rogers/Captain America: I've been asleep for 70 years. I think I've had enough sleep.

Bruce Banner/Hulk: I don't think we should be focusing on Loki. That guy's brain is full of cats. You can smell crazy on him.
Thor: Take care how you speak. Loki is beyond reason, but he is of Asgard, and he is my brother.
Natasha: He killed 80 people on two days.
Thor: He is adopted.

Steve: Is everything a joke to you?
Tony Stark: Funny things are.

Steve: Doc, I think now is the perfect time for you to get angry.
Bruce: That's my secret, Cap. I'm always angry.

Stan Lee (in a cameo): Superheroes? In New York? Give me a break.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you enjoyed this movie too, they did a fantastic job! Watch Iron Man 2 when you get the chance -- I loved the Black Widow's intro in that film.

    ReplyDelete