Friday, May 11, 2012

Smash: Previews

Oh, no they didn't!

I am so mad that the writers chose to go down that road. One of the things I dislike so much about this show is how it's mostly about who's sleeping with whom. With most shows I usually think that a character makes a choice, but with this show I keep thinking that it's the writers who make the choice, that they wrote the character to do it. I guess it's because so many of the situations in the show are so forced. Just like in a soap opera. And that's what this is - a soap opera with a lot of good musical numbers.

Observations:

Eileen watches the preview of the show from the mezzanine. Smart woman. Most people think the best seats are on the main floor, but I think the best place to watch a musical is from the mezzanine/dress circle/balcony. You can get a better, panoramic view.

A new song. Is this the duet for Ivy and Karen that Tom wanted? I liked it.

It's so nice that they hired such great dancers for the ensemble. I love the production numbers.

There's one thing I can say about the show - they've put together a great artistic team: songwriters, choreographer, director, dancers, singers, actors (most of them). I just wish the writing matched the caliber of the rest of the team.

I want to see the whole show, or at least some scenes. What is the story? How do the songs fit in the musical?

Another great Broadway actor gets a cameo. Mark Kudisch plays Darryl F. Zanuck. He was actually in 9 to 5 with Megan Hilty (Ivy).

At least Bombshell has a great set.

I know there has to be some musicals that end with a suicide (I can't think of any at the moment). I just don't think I would end a musical about Marilyn with her suicide because that's just too literal. It will be interesting to see how they change the ending.

Angelica Huston sings a song. I was pleasantly surprised with her performance. I really like the song, September, and I thought she was going to "speak" the song, but when she actually started to sing I thought she did a nice job. Her voice definitely isn't as strong as Ivy or Karen or Leslie (Odom, Jr). However, she did a fairly good job.

Sidenote: September Song was written for Angelica's grandfather, Walter Huston, to sing in Knickerbocker Holiday. Maxwell Anderson and Kurt Weill wrote the song in a couple of hours specifically for Huston's limited vocal range. It's so touching that they let her sing it on Smash.

I was starting to like Derek until the end of last week's episode. Now I'm liking him even less. His response to Ivy was so weird. He thinks that being "professional" and taking care of his star means sleeping with her? In any other business, that would be a big HR issue. But not in "show business."

Who poisoned Rebecca? It would be too obvious if Ellis did it.

If Karen is trying to get ready to go on in Rebecca's place as her understudy, I would think that she'd be trying to memorize the lines, not a song. She would probably already know all of the songs better than the lines.

Michael is such a jerk and an idiot. I don't understand his character, why would he risk his marriage again? Does he have no conscience whatsoever? It makes absolutely no sense. And why would he approach Julia again like that when her husband is there in the same hotel. Yes, he's such a jerk and idiot. Or, the writers are just idiots and don't know how to write.

Julia took all the blame before for what happened with her and Michael, but now all of a sudden she's blaming Tom. It was her fault. He tried to warn her. I guess Julia is taking a lesson from Michael and being a jerk.

I love Bobby's response when Karen gets up to sing at church, "What's she doing?"

I loved hearing Leslie Odom, Jr. sing the first part of "Stand." I just wish he'd sung the whole thing. Yes, there's no question that Katharine McPhee has a great voice, but I love Leslie's voice.

Next week is the finale. So, who's going to play Marilyn? Will we find out, or will there be a big cliffhanger? I can't imagine what they'll do with 22-24 more episodes in the next season. Bombshell goes to Broadway, and everyone sleeps with one another.

Quotes:

Ivy: Please don't be nice to me right now. I mean it, I really will fall apart if you're nice to me.

Derek: You know I hate enthusiasm.

Karen: I just didn't want anybody to get hurt.
Rebecca: Well then let's get out of show business then, Karen (yes, she said "then" twice).

Tom: Why aren't they applauding? They're not applauding.

Bobby: First preview something big always goes wrong.
Karen: Like no applause?

Tom: You can't end a musical with a suicide.

Julia: I thought you wanted it darker.
Derek: I want it to work.

Rebecca: I'm alone in Boston, dying.

Derek: Don't leave town. No tweeting.

Rebecca's agent: This was deliberate.
Eileen: Who are you, Miss Marple?

No comments:

Post a Comment