Friday, May 25, 2012

Grammar Gaffe: Lay vs. Lie

The misuse of lay and lie is one of the grammar gaffes that really bugs me. However, I shouldn't get so upset about it, because I don't think many people are really taught the correct usage. So, this is my attempt to educate the masses.

If you don't remember anything else from this post, please remember this: When you go to bed, you LIE down.

Now let's get a little more technical, or grammar geeky.

Lie: something you do to yourself. For example, "I'm going to lie (myself) down."
Lay: something you do to something else. For example, "Lay the book on the table."

The past tense can get a little more complicated.

Past tense of Lie: Lay
For example, "When she got home, she lay down."

Past tense of Lay: Laid
For example, "Our chickens laid six eggs."

I know, crazy, right?

Here are a couple of ways you can remember which is correct.

"People lie, chickens lay [eggs]."
"Let sleeping dogs lie."

Now that you know which word is correct for which situation, if someone says, "I'm going to lay down," you can respond by saying, "people lie."

No comments:

Post a Comment